To RAID or not to RAID...

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have to keep in mine its not just the hard drives that can fail. The SATA controller driver/software can fail too.

I'll back up all my "priceless memories" on dvd such as pics and papers and personally created data. I wouldn't mind DL'n some more episodes of Aqua Teen Hunger Force again from the T3...

if you run RAID 0 then you must have good air circulation, RAID makes your HDD run at extremely high temps and thats why it had a high failure rate. you best off geting 2 HDDS you get more life and if one fails than the other is always there.

I still don't understand how a RAID setup makes the hard drives fail more easily?

The data stream is split between the 2 hard drives so wouldn't they run COOLER?

Yeah what are you on about that they run hotter. Surely they'd run cooler because the hard drives are having to access things less as the load is split between both the hard drives. If you had two close together and did some very hard drive intesive stuff for ages that would be hotter than just a single one but the easy option is that you put them away from each other. Surely many hands make lite work ?

Think about it, which would be hotter...
1 drive running @7k with space around it or
2 drives each running @7k in a smaller space?

Abit obvious really.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom