To Raid or not to Raid - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 12-10-2005, 03:08 PM   #1 (permalink)
WWS
Super Techie

Default To Raid or not to Raid

I have 2 250Gb hard drives, and was wondering if I should set them up in Raid 0 or not.

Is there any advantage to set them up in Raid 0??

Old 12-10-2005, 03:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
True Techie

Send a message via AIM to The Kraut

I beleive but i could be wrong, that in RAID0 both drives are setup and act as one and the data is split between the two. This makes it faster but in the event that one drive fails the other one fails and all your data is gone. So unless your planning on having harddrive failures, dont go with RAID0.

Old 12-10-2005, 04:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
Monster Techie

RAID 0 is faster. But, less reliable. The expected time before at least 1 drive out of M drives failing is less than the expected life time of one of the single drives.

I don't play BF2. The only serious game I've played on my system is Doom 3. And it just runs fine .. I have a single 7200 rpm drive.
Old 12-10-2005, 05:56 PM   #4 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Send a message via AIM to HAVOC Send a message via Yahoo to HAVOC

RAID 0 only provides a small boost in performance. Like in copying and transfering files in folders. But, RAID 0 isn't really ment for performance.

Random Array of Inexpensive Disks.
LEVEL 0

You want a new 500GIG HDD. But the cost is around $330 USD.

So you buy (2) 250GIG HDD's for $105 USD and configure them in RAID 0. Now you have your 500GIG's for over $100 less.

That's were RAID 0 has it's advantages.
Old 12-10-2005, 06:59 PM   #5 (permalink)
Junior Techie

RAID is actually Redundant array of inexpensive/independent disks.

RAID 0 is a misnomer due to the fact that there is no redundancy. With a great raid controller, you can get very good performance increases. I'd say go for it, as long as you use this array for projects, and not backups. Have another single drive backup of all your stuff, because as has been said, the failure rate is increased with raid-0
2 x 512MB DDR400 Geil Value Ram (w/blue hs)
NVidia GeForce4 MX 420
Seagate Barracuda 120GB, 7200Rpm, 8MB buffer (pata),
Seagate Barracuda 160GB, 7200Rpm, 8MB buffer (sata-ncq)
BTC1108IM dvd writer (8X)
Aopen 1648 dvd-rom
sunbeam fanbus controller
Philips 190X5 19\'\' LCD monitor 12ms
Old 12-10-2005, 06:59 PM   #6 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

if everything is running fine and your comp runs decent dont raid them since you might lose all your data if one drive fails like Chankama said
X1800XL 512mb@X1800XT
2x 80g WD SATA
X-FI Platinum
Antec P180b
Old 12-10-2005, 07:12 PM   #7 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by HAVOC2k5
RAID 0 only provides a small boost in performance. Like in copying and transfering files in folders. But, RAID 0 isn't really ment for performance.
It is actually. That is the theoretical reason behind "RAID" 0. Obviously, the activities you are involved in plays a huge performance in the performance gain. The idea behind RAID 0 is to give multiple HDDs the ability to do simultaneous work when processing data. At the "most", the performance gain will be Mx(the performance of a single drive) - where M is the # of drives in the RAID 0 array.

But, this never really occurs - unless you build a test case just to produce this scenario. In a 2 drive array, if one HDD is performing an operation, a random read/write request has only a 50% chance of hitting the unused HDD. A sequential request (such as copying a file) will be better organized such that both HDDs are working simultaneously.

Anyways, the price can obviously be used to justify a RAID array. But, this wasn't the motivation behind designing it. This "price" scenario is only really useful when you are talking about the "premium capacity" HDDs. e.g. the highest capacity drives. In other instances, it is of no use - wrt price. For eample, getting 2x80GB drives is more expensive than getting a 160 GB drive.

Closed Thread