RAID help plz!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pinscher

Fully Optimized
I am planning a new system for this Christmas and I was thinking of putting in a raid setup because I will be going to school next fall for 3d animation and I dont want to lose my projects because one of my hd fails. I wont need any massive amount of storage but I do want a fair amount. My main thing is I want redundancy for the drives. I do not know how to set this up and could use some help from somebody out there. Thanks a lot for all of your help in advance. =)

1. Get two matching drives - size and MFG
2. Install drives.
3. Insert Windows CD
4. Windows will start to load and at the bottom of the screen it will say press f6 to load Raid drivers. or something like that
5. when it tells you to, insert disk (floppy) with RADI drivers on it. These disks come with the Motherboard.
6. select Raid 1 (mirror)
7. Continue with windows load as normal
8. finished

The steps may not be exact, but the main point is to load the drivers BEFORE windows is on one drive. Windows will not copy itself to the other drive.

I had a few issues when did this for the first time, but don't worry, its a simple operation once you get things going.

:)

Its really that easy?!? RAID 1 is the one I should use for redundancy? What drives do you recommend?

I have 2 Maxtor DiamondMax 10's, at 300 Gigs each, got them in basically perfect shape, for 100 bucks. Not sure if those are the ideal drives, but thats what I'll be using for mine:)

Yes, it's that easy.

Raid 1 is what you're after. Raid 0 is called striping (Data split between drives) and raid 1 is called mirroring, like a "mirror image". same data on both drives.

As for the drives, I would recommend Western Digital or Segate.

You can get some Western Digital 80 gig SATA hard drives at newegg for 43.99 + shipping. heres a link

Just make sure your mobo supports the SATA type. If you DO NOT have support for the SATA, heres a link for 80gig IDE drives same price!

One final thing. If your mobo does not support raid you can get an atermarket PCI card that has a RAID controller on it. The card will also come with the drivers.

O don't worry about my mobo supporting RAID and SATA, im getting brand-new top-end stuff. gonna cost me around $3600 for all of it. =)
thanks a lot hercules.

ferarri said:
O don't worry about my mobo supporting RAID and SATA, im getting brand-new top-end stuff. gonna cost me around $3600 for all of it. =)
thanks a lot hercules.

Have you posted a Build thread? I would like to see what you compiled.

ferarri said:
thanks a lot hercules.

WOW! For that kind of money you should be getting a beast of a computer. Are you building it yourself? E6800 extreme CPU, Dual 8800GTX, nice monitor....??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom