RAID and hard drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

BonKerz

In Runtime
RAID is used to link hard drives together correct? well I am purchasing a new 300g seagate hdd and it will be the only hdd i will be using, no slave drives, just it. Would i even need to set up RAID on my mobo then?

There's different types of RAID for different uses but you don't need RAID to connect hard drives nor for just one drive.

Nope don't worry about RAID my friend.

Common types of RAID are raid 0 in which data is split on two different hard drives of the same capacity so the data can be accessed twice as fast. So if the word RAID was written in RAID 0 it would look like RI on the first drive and AD on the second drive.

RAID 1 is another common setup were one hard drive just mirrors the other one so all your data is safe.

hope that helps

Ok cool that does help, I'm going to be connecting my hdd through sata, will i have to do any manual configuration? or will it automatically set in and be recognized by the computer

what is the jumper setting configuration besides master and slave, i was talking to somebody and they mentioned a third setting that would be better to use

on sata there are no jumper settings the seagate barracuda does have a jumper though which you should remove as it limits the drives to sata1 instead of its full potential of sata2 in real world performance it hardly makes a difference as a mechanical drive can't spin fast enough to enable the full cable transfer rate, but taking the jumper out doesn't ause any harm and you never know you may get an extra 1mb/sec on your transfer rates lol

The third setting you're asking about is CS or Cable Select, but when you are using a SATA drive it doesn't matter where you put the jumper because as stated before SATA drives don't need jumpers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom