Which RAID? Confused...

Status
Not open for further replies.

small256

In Runtime
Hey, just got myself a second 250gb Seagate barracuda hdd and i was thinking about putting them both into RAID. I guess as I only have the 2 of them it's going to either be 0 or 1. I think I'm leaning towards 0 at the moment, but what are peoples thoughts? I don't really know much about RAID, hence the post, so you'll have to keep any RAID jargon under control cus I probably wont understand it :p

Any help would be great.

Well if your a gamer and your sick of load times go raid 0, if your worried about hard drive failures go raid 1.

I'm a gamer and RTS load times killed me until I went raid 0.

My brother set up a raid 1 because he has a huge music library he wants to keep safe.

Hope I helped

Since you have already two 250GB HDDs, and want a performance boost, go for RAID 0. If you want security go RAID 1.

i wouldnt do raid 0 or 1
well 1 if you have ALOT of very important files you cant afford to lose
ive done raid 0 before and its a waste the speed increase in loading times was not noticeable at all.
and with raid 0 you have no place to backup if you need to reformat
so i suggest not to raid

fade2black does have a point. You could just use the 250GB as the main hard drive. It's only a couple of seconds different than RAID's performance....and use the other 250GB as backup.

i've got another drive that i use for backup, though it's an external one.
and thanks all for the advice, looks like 0 it is!

fade2black does have a point. You could just use the 250GB as the main hard drive. It's only a couple of seconds different than RAID's performance....and use the other 250GB as backup.

That's basically the same thought process as RAID 1. Personally I'd just go with RAID 1 as it provides continuous backup of files and the speed is pretty much the same as a non-raid hd.

Actually, i'm having a few problems setting it all up. There's no option to set it up when it boots, despite the good ol' manual saying there should be. And as far as I can see, there's no other way into the raid bios.

Any ideas?

i agree.... raid0 is not worth the 2 seconds u get... data security is vital.... go for RAID1..... other wise use drives as b1gapl said

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom