Raid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zerodayATK

Daemon Poster
i have an 80gb hdd i was thinking about doing raid could i have 2 different size hdd? or whats needed for raid?

for RAID 1 and 0 You need exact harddrive sizes. For spanning which I forgot what RAID it was, you can mix sizes since the Data is written to the Drives as if it where 1 Drive. To clarify, think of it like extending a piece of paper, it will write data across it just like adding more space, in this case its adding another drive.

i was thinking about hooking up a 250 wiht my 80 will they both show up as 1 hdd? i want them to show as 1 hdd and 2hdd basiaclly....

raid 0 you put two hdds together but it will only use the smallest drive * 2 so two 80 GB would be 160GB one 80 GB and 200GB only 160GB in total to use

raid 1 mirror exact same things on both hdds, good for backup

raid 0+1 it raid 0 spread over two hdds and mirror those two hdds on two other hdds so in total 4 hdds :D

what about spanning ... could i usea 250 and 80 and have them come up as 2 sperate drives ?

Theyoyokid303 said:
what about spanning ... could i usea 250 and 80 and have them come up as 2 sperate drives ?

In windows they will be seen as one drive, in BIOS they are 2 drives.

Yes you can do spanning with those 2 amounts.

ok thanks guys so ... if i have a raid 0 theny they both have to be the same and its double the space???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom