RAID 0 Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tubson57

Solid State Member
I currently have one hard drive in use and am looking to buy a second hard drive and set up a raid 0 matrix. I don't want to bother formatting my current drive simply because I don't want to have to put everything back on it. A friend of mine suggested using some software (can't remember the name) to take an image of my current drive and save the image somewhere else (on a friends external), reformat the current drive and set up a raid 0 matrix with the old and new drives, then copy over the image to the matrix. Would this work?

You can try an imaging program like clonezilla but many times it will not work when moving it to a raid0 array. about 50/50 chance. give it a shot but be prepared to do a reinstallation. especially if it is winxp.

I am running windows 7. My friend also said it could be a little risky. I'm a little hesitant to do it now, if I may lose the image it's not really worth bothering creating it.

Well have you data backed up separately. Worst case you loose the time making the image and trying to restore it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom