Raid 0 help. - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Closed Thread
Old 04-17-2007, 03:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie
Default Raid 0 help.

I have been using my computer for the last 6 months, and my drive is mostly full, so I've wanted to expand my drive space aswell as gain a boost to performance. I just ordered my second SATA II 250gb drive (identical to my current drive) to set up a raid 0 array.

How would I go about setting up the array since I already have everything installed? Would I need to format my drive and reinstall windows? I have an external HD that I can back everything to, so if that is required, its not a problem. Can someone layout the steps I need to take to accomplish this?

I've been doing a bit of reading, and most guides require a floppy drive. I currently don't have one, and don't have an empty 3.5" slot for one either. Is it possible to do this without a floppy (using a flash/cd drive).

Please visit my new Photography forum:
Old 04-17-2007, 03:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Techie
Send a message via AIM to plumber4578 Send a message via MSN to plumber4578
Default Re: Raid 0 help.

great question. I was wondering the same thing.

My puter:
CPU - INTEL Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz
MEM - 4 GB (1BGX4) G.SKILL PC2 6400
HD - 2 SAMSUNG 500GB 7200 RPM
OS - Windows Vista 64Bit
Old 04-17-2007, 03:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
Default Re: Raid 0 help.

you have to reformat and reinstall windows so you need to back up your c drive or you can easily do this by using a tool such as the seagate drive transfer. Raid 0 can be software or hardware. If hardware raid then you should be able to access it through the mobo bios or a sub-boot screen which is enabled through the bios look in your manual. For software the easiest way is to use windows disk management and convert the drives into dynamic then use the raid wizard I don't no what the effect would be but trying to format the hdd through this method whilst running windows from the same drive does not sound like a good idea
Closed Thread