RAID 0 - Data Loss prevention??

Status
Not open for further replies.

HAVOC

Fully Optimized
OK. I've never worry about losing data on a RAID 0 array before until now. Since my last rebuild, i've loaded up my 500GIG RAID 0 array with hours and hours of HOME VIDEO's taken from my family DV Camcorder. It's roughly 285GIGS

This process took me weeks to complete. I don't want to have to do this all over again.

Here's my question:

If I rebuild my system again (as said in sig) I will surely be using a new motherboard which will have a different RAID controller. If I remove my (2) 250gig SATA HDD's and install them in my rebuild, i'm going to lose my DATA because i'll have to rebuild the ARRAY under a new RAID controller right?

What should I do? Buy a 300GIG HDD and transfer all of the DATA on to it?

Or just say screw it and do that freakin' process all over again....?

Hmmmm?

I think that there are ways to use 2 hdds perviously setup in RAID on a different RAID controller. There was an option on mine to select if they have been used together before. It's probably possible, but not 100% error free. I would get a 300GB HDD just to be safe.

I would also say just get another single large HD for stuff like that. Just put large stuff that you dont wana lose or copy again, on a single HD, much simpler and safer.

What i would do is get a noramal ATA drive thats about 300 gigs and throw it in the computer and move all the movies to that drive, then build a new array on the new machine and throw the normal ATA drive into there and move the movies onto that array and keep the 300gb drive as a backup drive for them videos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom