Raid 0??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kranky88

Baseband Member
Hello,
I am quite new to this computer thing but I have just currently replaced my 120G Maxtor diamond 9 with 2 WD 36G 10k rpm raptors in Raid 0 Was i meant to be suprised with the diference in loading times and speed of applications? Because I didn't notice much difference in loading times in games such as Warcraft 3. Computer starting time isn't much different either. I am pretty sure i have set them in RAID0 because in the start up screen it says they were striped and were combined into 1 drive.
Anybody know what could be the problem or its just that 2 wd raptors in raid0 is similar to my 7200rpm Maxtor drive?

Thanks for any help

Umm your comps proably not too good. The hard drives will not be bottlenecking anything. I think u went too extreme with your Hard drives. But i need to know the specs of your comp to tell you whats making it slow. ;)

RAID 0 performance increases are not spectacular!! I use stripping only because it instantly doubles my C: drive hd space and gives me a lettlle bettter program performance. Those raptors, however, should give a noticeable perfomance increase for loading times. Like said above, if you are using and older cpu and mobo you may have lost the advantages inherent increased performance of those fast drives.

oh yea forgot to mention, i got a P4 3ghz prescott, Corsair 2x512 ddr400 ram, DFI 865PE infinity and a x800pro. Would those components be too slow for my raptors?

Deffinatly the computer bottlenecking. For shorter loading times in rank of importance.

1. 2GB of RAM for todays games
2. Faster CPU. AMD Opteron 165 ?

Thats it really but i expect your gonna have to make a whole new computer except for the RAM. The raptors are for really high end computers. Not one like yours but you can always use them in your next machine :p

Those drives are better performers becausee of their reduced access times and reduced latency. The P4 system you are using can, in fact, see excellent performance increases wiht those drives. Something else is going on with your machine. I would suspect you have outperformed your GPU and not the other system components. SLI 7800GTx. High speed drives like those WD raptors have been around for a long time in SCSI servers and DAW's. The CPU architecture in those machines have little to do with the increased DATA storage and read times on those faster drives. Most of the time, when we do these performance upgrades we are really geting better performance but it is usually not shocking. There is a hugh performance difference between the Nvidia 6600gt and the 6800GT but it doesn't slap you in the face! I think you may be expecting to big of a change. Benchmark you system as it is and I'll bet it will be much more of an increased performance that you think...I think it is a matter of excessive expectations!

Those drives are better performers becausee of their reduced access times and reduced latency. The P4 system you are using can, in fact, see excellent performance increases wiht those drives. Something else is going on with your machine. I would suspect you have outperformed your GPU and not the other system components. SLI 7800GTx. High speed drives like those WD raptors have been around for a long time in SCSI servers and DAW's. The CPU architecture in those machines have little to do with the increased DATA storage and read times on those faster drives. Most of the time, when we do these performance upgrades we are really geting better performance but it is usually not shocking. There is a hugh performance difference between the Nvidia 6600gt and the 6800GT but it doesn't slap you in the face! I think you may be expecting to big of a change. Benchmark you system as it is and I'll bet it will be much more of an increased performance that you think...I think it is a matter of excessive expectations!

thanks for your reply, can you pelase expain waht you mean by "I would suspect you have outperformed your GPU and not the other system components. SLI 7800GTx." I didnt overclock my GPU at all if thats what you mean.

Thanks

He means that you should have summin like 2 7800GT's in SLI for that kinda hard drive speed. Well i think :confused: . I would build a new system for them if you really want a faster computer and like he said you won't see amazing performence increase but if you get a good GPU you will see good graphics :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom