Raid 0 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Closed Thread
Old 09-26-2006, 01:35 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Raid 0

Hey guys!

I have 2 36g Raptor drives in my machine. Now I couldn't figure out how to get the Raid to work before I installed windows.
So I just left one drive inactive and installed windows on another just so I could get my computer running.
Now my question is, can I still Raid 0 the two drives?
Would I have to somehow install windows on the other drive before I could Raid them?
Is my only option to raid them through windows!

Thanks guys!

Old 09-26-2006, 03:52 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lord Techie

no, as far as i know there is no way to do it. for starters the RAID drivers would need to have been installed during the Windows install for a bootable RAID. you can create a RAID but any data on the drives will have to either be lost or backed up and restored.

Visit my website -
"Guitar is cool. If you donít think the guitar is cool, then youíre stupid. And I will fight you! " - Brendon Small
I'm sorry but I do not accept support requests via IM, email, or personal messages
You can contact me for Forum related issues via PM only.

Old 09-26-2006, 07:03 AM   #3 (permalink)
MechEng Extraordinaire
Send a message via AIM to cwiz

i just did this yesterday cuz i reformated.

make sure RAID is enabled in your bios.

reformat your HD and delete all partitions

reboot, there should be a screen like F10 to enter RAID configureation, if you activated RAID in your BIOS right after the first screen. (i am not sure if this is nessisary, but i did it and i'm running RAID now soo.... it must not hurt anything )

make sure that the storage devices are on one array...

reboot from windows cd.

one of the first things it says on the bottom when the blue reinstall screen comes up is something like "Hit F6 (?) to install 3rd party RAID or SCSI drivers" or somethign like that.... hit the button.

put the 3.5" floppy w/ RAID drivers in the drive, install them. (it will say something like to install such and such hit enter, do it, pick one of the 2 drivers, then do it again to install the 2nd one)

exit that part of the install and the normal windows install should start up again.

you will know you did it right if there is just one big 72GB drive (148GB in my case) in the 'unpartitioned space' when it asks you where to install windows.

good luck!
Change the world
PS3 -> Folding as we speak Team# 64582
Old 09-26-2006, 08:41 AM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Wow thanks a lot!
Now I just need to buy a **** 3.5'' lol.
Appreciate it guys!
Closed Thread