Radeon X1900XTX and New Monitor Questions - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Closed Thread
Old 04-05-2006, 10:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie
Default Radeon X1900XTX and New Monitor Questions

Ok.. let me start off by showing my computer specs:

I have an Alienware Aurora 7500:
AMD Athlon™ 64 Processor 3500+ (clocked at 2.41 ghz)
2 gigs ram
NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Ultra Series GPU (256 MB)
Im not sure on the Power supply.. whatever is the normal option for those Alienwares. (im pretty sure its pretty good)

So, Im not very content with my performance in oblivion, and would rather have a godly computer that could run the game at what it is SUPPOSED to be. So, I decided I wanted to get a new vid card. I decided on the Radeon X1900XTX, (tell me if you think I mad a bad choice, or have any other opinions you would like to share with me please). I want to run the game at maybe 1600x1200.. but I just found out my 3 year old Dell monitor has a max resolution of 1280x1024.. Sooo I need to get a new monitor! A few Questions:

1. Where should I buy the Radeon X1900XTX? Im not a computer WIZ, but I know a bit; but I am kind of confused. Are all Radeon X1900XTX's the same? Why are some more expensive, do they have different specs?

2. What monitor should I buy? I am looking for I guess an LCD cuz I heard they are good? (haha I know nothign else). Maybe a 19' or a 20'? I dont really have a price range right now, just show me whats good!

3. Should I sell my nvidia card on ebay? And a quick side note, I also own a pretty old radeon 9800 pro (128 MB).. how much would that sell for?

4. Will my computer be able to actually handle the new card, cooling wise. I am pretty sure my computer has a **** good cooling system.. it never overheats and always feels cool.

Closed Thread