radeon vs geforce

Status
Not open for further replies.
IT greatly depends upon what game you want to play. I read through several reviews in light of this issue and it appears the x850 is good in hl2 and far cry while the 6800/7800 owns in doom 3, fear, and other shader-based games. However, in SLI, the nvidia solution wins. But you have to be pretty damn wealthy to get SLI since at a minimum it costs around $700 to do a good one with 6800 GTs.

I own an X850 XT, and if it werent for PSM 3.0, i would stake it against any 6800 series card and expect to come out the winner. I would be thrilled with my card if it werent for PSM 3.0.

beedubaya said:
The others, while lacking Shader Model 3, are actually fantastic cards that match the Nvidia ones in framerate and beat them in image quality.

I definitly prefer ATI as until the conversation reaches PSM 3.0. ATi made a stupid decision not to include PSM 3.0 with its X800/X850 series cards. If not for that, we would all say its a matter of preference.

beedubaya said:
Honestly, I don't see SM3 as being as important as I once did, because with the new Splinter Cell Chaos Theory patch, SM2 does the exact same thing that only SM3 did previously.

Hopefully other devs will follow Ubi's model and release patches like the Chaos Theory one. They would be idiotic not to, as they would alienate a huge part of the gamer market by not releasing such patches

if they didnt then everyone would have to buy new graphics card. which would make nvidia rich, sense ati doesnt have any graphics card with sm3...cause they are just to lazy to do anything about it.

There isnt a whole lot that ATi can do about ATM anyway. PSM 3.0 is a hardware component, not a software component. It cant be fixed with a driver

so a patch configures the game to use SM2, so if the game maker doesnt make a patch to configure SM2 then all the people with cards with no SM3 have to buy a new one. am i right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom