Radeon 3870 Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

gurusan

Golden Master
I would really prefer an 8800GT..,....but the 3870 beats it by quite a lot at memory bandwidth due to the clockability of GDDR4...and the 8800GT doesnt support software voltmodding past 1.1vgpu

I just wanted to know if anyone can confirm that the 3870 supports software voltage control through tools like atiTool?

The 8800GT beats the 3870, but I will have the GPU under water and would love to push the voltage up and overclock but would rather not do any hardmods to it.

The 8800gt vgpu can only be raised from 1.05 to 1.1v through software...which only seems ot net a max clock of around 750-780mhz. I understand that clocks aren't everything but with the 3870 at 1+ghz and the MUCH higher memory bandwidth I would think it would outperfrom a 8800GT and cost less.

Considering that the 3870 can be up to 22% slower than an 8800GT, I wouldn't understand why you'd want to deal with the headache of a double slot solution and extensive overclocking, which would void your warranty since it's an ATI card, to possibly get on par performance with a stock 8800GT. Plus, they are the same price I believe or the 3870 costs a little more..

I'd consider it once some new drivers come out. ATI's known for crap initial drivers, takes them time to optimize them, but it's not always guaranteed.

Merkwürdigliebe;1234029 said:
I'd wait out on the 8800GTS G92 Revision, December 3rd, confirmed date, my friend ;)

expensive. Don't want to be spending 200+ quid on a 3d card. Especially as I only run 1440x900 resolution

Do you already have that water cooler? I mean if you don't, just put the money towards a better video card, ie, the GTS G92

If you do, then I'd wait for better ATI drivers and maybe some overclocking results. If the drivers get better enough to almost match a GT and it overclocks better than the GT, and of course, if it gets a little cheaper, then the 3870 can be a winner, with the only drawback being the two slot solution

Otherwise, the GT is your man.

Yes I already have my X1900GT under water....managed to get to 800mhz from 580 as well...not bad but i still want a better card

Yes, I'll need a few weeks to round up some money anyway. Hard drive failed and now I'm 50 quid in the hole! :angry:

first time I've ever had a HD fail on me! my trusty seagate 7200.10!! WTF!!

I think i got this right, ATI's design uses many shaders but at slower speeds while nvdia uses less shaders but faster shaders. ATI's performance will fully relay on optimized drivers to use more shaders, if it doesn't then half of its shaders are left to waste.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom