Radeon 3870 Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think i got this right, ATI's design uses many shaders but at slower speeds while nvdia uses less shaders but faster shaders. ATI's performance will fully relay on optimized drivers to use more shaders, if it doesn't then half of its shaders are left to waste.

Exactly. We need to wait for better drivers. The most recent, i think 7.10 or something, is still in beta.........BETA!!!!!.......so this brings hope that the both the HD 3850 n 3870 have more potential then this but probably not a lot.

EDIT:

oh, both the 3850 n 3870 r up on newegg but sadly all the 3870 cards r taken :(.

Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!

I think i got this right, ATI's design uses many shaders but at slower speeds while nvdia uses less shaders but faster shaders. ATI's performance will fully relay on optimized drivers to use more shaders, if it doesn't then half of its shaders are left to waste.

What about texture units ?

8800GT have 56 texture units while HD3780 have only 16. This means that can 8800GT can address tesxtures more than 3 times as much as HD3870 per clock

Exactly. We need to wait for better drivers. The most recent, i think 7.10 or something, is still in beta.........BETA!!!!!.......so this brings hope that the both the HD 3850 n 3870 have more potential then this but probably not a lot.

Nvidia have some BETA drivers. So what is your point ?

What makes you sure that newer drivers will make HD3870 perform much better ?

In one of your previous post you claimed that HD3870 is going to cream 8800GT !!

Read your post

But now we have saw many reviews, and it seems that 8800GT creams HD3870. And the proofs are in front of you.

But seems that you can't admit that 8800GT outperforms HD3870. Instead you are trying to blame the drivers.

Drivers may help sure, imo the gt will probably still beat it. but ive been proven wrong before.

just seems funny. Wait for the card.. then wait longer for drivers that function properly XD

Nvidia have some BETA drivers. So what is your point ?

What makes you sure that newer drivers will make HD3870 perform much better ?

In one of your previous post you claimed that HD3870 is going to cream 8800GT !!

Read your post

But now we have saw many reviews, and it seems that 8800GT creams HD3870. And the proofs are in front of you.

But seems that you can't admit that 8800GT outperforms HD3870. Instead you are trying to blame the drivers.

alright alright i admit it, the 8800 GT is better. U happy now?

of course the 8800GT is better stock vs stock.

but I have never cared about that in any piece of hardware. I'm interested in max oc vs max oc. I'm waiting for some results from 900-1ghz 3870 core clocks then I'll make my decision.

hey gurusan what software do you use to raise the voltage of the 8800gt?

well I don't have a 8800GT...but you can raise it with a bios flash using nibitor

Apparently you can only go as high as 1.1v though before you need hardmods...which is the only reason I am hesitant to buy a 8800GT.

I only care about cost vs. performance after overclocking. For example my old cheapish 7900GT was clocked to 702/1840mhz and outperformed many overclocked x1950xt cards for a fraction of the price.

Hit about 10 points shy of 7,000 in 3dmark06

On this topic... AMD/ATI is really letting me down here. I look at the clock values of the 3870, and the 8800GT, and I think "Wow. This card has AMAZING performance for it's price."

Then I start reading these reviews and whatnot, and the card is performing worse than the GT.

I used to be an AMD fan, but if they keep releasing things like this, and if the Phenom performs bad, then I might have to give up on them.

This is actually quite a good release for them though...as I hear they are putting out about 500,000 on the market and there are only 50,000 8800GT cards. With the 8800GT in such short supply lots of people will get the ATI card and it will generate some revenue for them.

Also don't forget the 3870x2, that should be quite a nice performer. Will consume as much if not less power than a single 2900XT and should be on par or faster than a 8800ultra...for a fraction of the cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom