Rackmount case for ASUS Rampage Formula? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Closed Thread
Old 09-30-2008, 05:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Rackmount case for ASUS Rampage Formula?

I've been on a search to find a good rackmount case for a ASUS Rampage Formula 775 Intel X48 ATX motherboard. Typically I'm seeing rackmount cases are built for servers with redundant power supply configurations, but I'm just looking for an ATX case that acts like a typical PC tower, but I can mount on rails to put in a standard 19" rack.

Does something like this exist for this kind of motherboard? Or is this a DIY thing where I would buy a server case, power supply, ASUS I/O SHIELD, and an internal firewire 400/800, USB, SATA interface and put it together?

I don't mind the DIY route, but I'm just a little concerned with the fit of everything. In the past I've installed motherboards in random cases and they don't always line up perfectly, but it's been several years, maybe things work better to do customizing now.

Here's the customization I'm planning:

Intel Core 2 Extreme on an ASUS Rampage Formula LGA 775 Intel X48 ATX Motherboard, Radeon HD crossfire Vid card, HT OMEGA 7.1 PCI audio card, 2 front mount internal DVD drives (SD and BluRay), and preferably space to front mount a 3.5" card (or two) for USB, firewire 400/800, and a SATA input, all of this installed in an rackmount ATX enclosure on sliders... any suggestons?

Thanks ahead of time.

Old 09-30-2008, 07:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
Monster Techie
Default Re: Rackmount case for ASUS Rampage Formula?

I dont think you should have a problem with the motherboard in a server ATX rackmounted case - say 4 rack units. The problem could be the video cards - which HD ones are they?? Becase if they are 4870s for example, you might not be able to fit them in.

Old 09-30-2008, 07:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Re: Rackmount case for ASUS Rampage Formula?

Aha, yeah, it's the Radeon HD 4870 / 512 MB 256-bit GDDR5 PCIe 2.0 x 16 HDCP Ready Crossfire.

Upon a little research I found the motherboard comes with an I/O shield, so that's a bonus. What problem do you think I might have with the video card fit? Any possible work arounds? I've also seen the extended depth cases if that might fix this potential issue. There's a ton of different server cases out there, but I'm not sure what the difference is from a typical ATX tower, other than the power redundancy, and of course that you can rack mount them.
Closed Thread