r700 goes multi-cored

Status
Not open for further replies.

psp_crazy1

Daemon Poster
looks like all the gfx cards in the next few years will be consisted of 2 or more dies...

ATI's R700 to support DirectX 10.1 - Improved tesselation and more graphics power through redesigned multi-core architecture - Softpedia

*According to ATI, the next-gen chip will be made out of a number of smaller chips. This number of chips will determine the targeted market sector: a single chip will represent an entry level card, two chips will make up a mainstream one, while four to eight cores on the same die will make for high-end solutions. The multi-core architecture should also feature the CrossFire support, leading to configurations of sixteen GPU cores in the case of two high-end R700 graphics cards.

may i ask y. anything above 4 is not needed for cards yet. they are still working on making one core to its full potentional. maybe 2 wouldnt even buy a 4 core g card. as sora would say RETARTED

I disagree Baron5. Having multiple cores on a GPU seems like a technology that isn't exactly supported now (hence the Dx10.1 upgrade) and also seems like it is a very viable route for GPU manufactuers.. look at the route processors are going.

nevertheless,....ati drivers suck, it will be expensive and wont have that much of a dramatic effect on performence

nevertheless,....ati drivers suck, it will be expensive and wont have that much of a dramatic effect on performence
Drivers didn't stop ATI from owning nVidia's 7 series. Expensive? How the **** do you know? Won't have much of a dramatic effect on performance? LOL, I'm glad you already benchmarked them and everything ^^

MoRoN

This is ridiculous why they don't focus on their cards right now in making them better because quite frankly thats what it need to be done, stop looking too much in the future.

i dont get why they are already planning for the new cards, exactly what phanto is saying. one second you think you're future proof, but then BAM, new 500 dollar hd 3900xt cards come out.

Well, having a multi-cored GPU is essentially the same as having SLi/CF, which provides a significant performance boost. So, they make a new, better core, and give you two or more of them. What is the problem with that?

To be honesnt, I think it is too early to speculate, and articles written by softpedia are hardly likely to be the most accurate as far as future PC hardware is concerned.

EDIT:

i dont get why they are already planning for the new cards, exactly what phanto is saying. one second you think you're future proof, but then BAM, new 500 dollar hd 3900xt cards come out.

they plan for a long time in advance... otherwise, they make a card, release it, and then think "heck! what do we do now? X companies next cards are out soon and we have nothing to match them with!"

yes, stuff gets outdated very quickly, but this pushes the industry onwards, producing newer and better hardware all the time. I fail to see how this could be a BAD thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom