quietest hdd? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 05:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!

Default quietest hdd?

ok so with my new setup the only thing i can hear is my hdd when its seeking/writing etc. and i want to make my computer as quiet as possible and was wondering if there are any like "ultra silent" hdds out there.

also i'm running a WD4000AAKS atm.

also side note, passively cooled cpus? can you do it with any effectiveness? i don't need a lot of power i just wanna be able to game for extensive periods of time without an oc on.

A notice to EVERYONE who has posted here with a computer problem, I highly encourage you to keep current with the forums, even if it's browsing for 10-15 minutes during lunch, or before you go to bed at night. There are many things that you can learn and apply to future issues. My goal is to help people get to a point where they can use their own knowledge to help themselves, and others.

Also please use the search button. You've got a 50/50 chance that someone's asked your question and we've answered it.
Old 01-17-2008, 06:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Default Re: quietest hdd?

do you use sound dampening material?
and or rubber grommets on your hd?

best cases to buy are the ones that have a door type thing on it...have that dampened and when you close, can't hear a thing.

based on this, everyone has a "quietest" harddrive
Live Search: quietest harddrive

Old 01-17-2008, 06:43 PM   #3 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!

its not a case of it vibrating and creating noise from vibrations, its the noise of the physical drive. i'm just seeing if there's a drive that makes less noise then any other.
A notice to EVERYONE who has posted here with a computer problem, I highly encourage you to keep current with the forums, even if it's browsing for 10-15 minutes during lunch, or before you go to bed at night. There are many things that you can learn and apply to future issues. My goal is to help people get to a point where they can use their own knowledge to help themselves, and others.

Also please use the search button. You've got a 50/50 chance that someone's asked your question and we've answered it.
Old 01-17-2008, 07:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Techie

Send a message via AIM to phucng_10 Send a message via Yahoo to phucng_10

I've got a Seagate 320GB HDD, and it's pretty quiet. Can't really hear it cause all I hear is my fans that are running.
Old 01-17-2008, 09:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!

well the thing is currently i don't have any fans in my case other then the stock hsf, and that's pretty **** quiet.

Closed Thread