A Quieter Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
you can try slowing those 140mm 2000 rpm fans down by running them on 5 volts. I've read up on a 7 volt mod but that may or may not damage your power supply, I elected not to try that myself. Google 7 volt mod to find out. The end of some ink pen cartridges will fit perfectly over the pins for the rail (if your running 12 volts on the rails) then you can switch these pins to run from the 12 v pin to the 5v pin. It won't move the air as fast of course but it may move enough air to exhaust the heat
.......of course this is just an idea that may be totally useless to you

As for cooling in the 600t 650d, it's not that great. My 650d is 8-10C more than my Antec 900. Its because of the front intake fan, 200mm x 20mm and it is squished between the HD Cages and front panel.

It is pretty quite with the fans and the solid door. If you went with w/c of some sort, H100 maybe you'd be pretty quiet and cool.

I swtched my top 200 with 2 Noctua 140's and it is still pretty good, though still warm.

im going to take my hard drive cages out and mount my HDD(s)(SSD eventually) in the drive bays. so the hard drive cages will be completely gone, in my 600T

edit: and if the temps are too high i have another side pannel with the mesh so i can mount up to 4 120mm fans on it. ill start with putting a single 200mm fan on the mesh and see how it does if the cooling with the side panel isnt adequet. so i have a ton of options. pretty excited!

Sean - I'm really hoping the 600T damping works out, a silent 600T would be a dream.

Joe C. - While I do want to keep costs down, I am willing to invest in a fan controller to avoid having to jury-rig something.
The ideal is to find fans I can run at full (or as close to) and have it... quiet, not aiming for completely silent since I still need the air-flow for cooling.

Paton - I can see the 650D being worse, its really build more for water cooling, but the 600T is more air based no?

It won't look jury rigged, just a matter of pulling a couple of pins out of the 4 pin fan connector and switching them around. It was only a suggestion, but I'm cheap like that. There are some really nice and fancy fan controllers out there worth checking into

Yeah, I'm just not very dexterous, I can only see it ending in tragedy :lol:
Would love a fan controller (Sunbeam Rheobus/Rheosmart caught my eye), need to lock in a case first though.

Any idea on the models? Or so long ago its just slipped from memory/hard copy.

Nukem - Yeah I know I can pretty much get any case and dampen it myself, trying to find stuff that will work well out of the box.
If it is a flop though thanks for the link, will know where to go to shore up the weak spots.

Sufficiently long that they probably have better models out now, but yeah, I don't remember. The Xigmatek was an S1284 or something and the GPU cooler was for an 8800GT so it probably won't do you any good. I think the Noctua was 600-800 RPM and the Scythe was something like 1200. The Xigmatek was a good cooler under normal conditions but I remember that it was significantly better than the competition when using a low speed fan.

Roark.... The 600t and 650d are Identical except for the outer case. Same fans, infact the 600t switched to the 650d one after too many complaints, same layout.. different plastic.

Therre's no umph behind the intake 200mm,its high vol, low pressure, and the insides ginmormous.
That said, the mesh side panel works mircles.

Yeah, I'm just not very dexterous, I can only see it ending in tragedy :lol:
Would love a fan controller (Sunbeam Rheobus/Rheosmart caught my eye), need to lock in a case first though.

i like the NZXT remix fan controller. IIRC it can do 50Watts per channel and it has 6 channels... with wire splittters that enough to controll 18 fans easily.

Roark.... The 600t and 650d are Identical except for the outer case. Same fans, infact the 600t switched to the 650d one after too many complaints, same layout.. different plastic.

Therre's no umph behind the intake 200mm,its high vol, low pressure, and the insides ginmormous.
That said, the mesh side panel works mircles.
That actually makes a lot of sense. Will see what Sean has to say about noise/air-flow.

Sean W. said:
i like the NZXT remix fan controller. IIRC it can do 50Watts per channel and it has 6 channels... with wire splittters that enough to controll 18 fans easily.
Thats just obese, how many cases take 18 fans lol (links not required, I'm sure there are a few).
I liked the Sunbeam ones since they can go 0v-12v, so you can turn selected fans all the way off if desired, and at 30w on each channel it can handle 2 fans per easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom