Quick Ram Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Like2game

Baseband Member
I have 2x1 gigs of memory in this dell pc here. I want to throw in an extra 2x512mb sticks. The motherboard has the slots for it. My question is on type/speed. What i have now is (as it shows in CPU-Z)
Type - pc2-5300 (333mhz)
Manufacturer - Nanya Technology
Volt/Timing at 333mhz - 1.8 volts 5-5-5-15

The moduels i have in mind are - Newegg.ca - G.SKILL 512MB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory
Type - pc2-5300 ddr2 667 (667mhz i think)
Manufacturer - G-Skill
volt - 1.8
Timing -5-5-5-15

Will this work together ? Will i have to clock this g-skill down to use it with the slow ram i have in ? Would it be smarter to just buy a new 2x1g kit and a 2x521mb kit of all the same type/timings/speed ect. ?

The G.Skill memory would be slowed down to the 5300's speed right away. The question here would be on the Dell series and model number to see what memory is supported going by the specifications.

As for the idea setup seeing equal size and speed is the idea there. If the board supports 8gb not just 4gb max a simple upgrade to a pair of 2gb dimms solves everthing rather then mixing a 512mb dimm on the second and last dimm slots with the 1gb dimms on the first and third.

Dell Dimension 9200. Vista32, with a 8800gtx. I know that vista32 has a 4gig ram limit so i figured this would be the most efficient. The 512mb sticks are only $9.99 so i thought "meh why not if it gives this thing a boost".

The motherboards make/model is simply "DELL/OCT017". I goggled it and found no useful information. Just other forum posts on other forums about people complaining about it lol.

yes they will work togher, your current memory is the same speed as the memory your looking at, there both ddr2 667 and there both made to run at the same voltage and timings so your good.

NOTICE: If you remove your original memory modules from the computer during a memory upgrade, keep them separate from any new modules that you may have, even if you purchased the new modules from Dell. If possible, do not pair an original memory module with a new memory module. Otherwise, your computer may not start properly. You should install your original memory modules in pairs either in connectors DIMM_1 and DIMM_2 or connectors DIMM_3 and DIMM_4. Documentation

Channel A: matched pair of memory modules in connectors DIMM_1 and DIMM_2 (white securing clips)
Channel B: matched pair of memory modules in connectors DIMM_3 and DIMM_4 (black securing clips)

I will just leave the originals in when i put the 2 ones in. This is how it is right now, i will put the 512s in the empty slots of coarse.

------------------------------ EMPTY BLACK
------------------------------ Original WHITE
-------------------------------EMPTY BLACK
-------------------------------Original WHITE

One more question i have though. Does anyone know why CPU-Z say this Pc2-5300 is 333mhz ? Does all DDR2-667 read as 333mhz in cpu-Z

The second 1gb dimm now in use would need to be moved from first B slot into the second A slot in order to be on the A memory channel. The new 512s would then go into the two B slots keeping things in matched pairs. That's the one requirement pointed out at the support site.

eyecpc u need to learn what your talking about b4 you tell people the wrong thing, ram slots are color coded, white goes with white, black goes with black.

like2game keep your originals in the white slots, and the new sticks in the black slots

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom