Quick question about Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northelim

Baseband Member
I am planning on getting a Windows Home Premium 64-bit version for my future pc build, however here is my concern.

Newegg.com - Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade - Operating Systems

Is this only allows you to install Windows 7 Home Premium if you have Windows Vista??? Or can you also use it as a fresh install when you just have built your pc and your starting up? I am confused heh, is this Upgrade only or both?

You have to have Vista installed before you can install an upgrade version, but you can perform a fresh install with the upgrade disc.

You have to have Vista installed before you can install an upgrade version, but you can perform a fresh install with the upgrade disc.

so, wait I don't need to have windows vista installed to perform a fresh install? Kind of confusing X_X but you need it to install it as a upgrade???

I think you have to have Vista installed to install Win 7 upgrade. Then once you have Win 7 installed, you can perform a fresh install.

I think you have to have Vista installed to install Win 7 upgrade. Then once you have Win 7 installed, you can perform a fresh install.

ah I c , thanks for clearing it up man.

However, here is another question I have...

If I buy the standalone Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit OEM

Newegg.com - Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - Operating Systems

will I be able to use this disc as a back up to "reinstall" windows 7 home premium 64 on other machines other than my own?

I have 2 laptops in the house that already came with a activated windows 7 home premium 64 bit and they did not come with a disc.

So if they fail or I have to reinstall the OS will that disc work since they are already activated out of the box?, or do I have to buy multiple and reactivate with new serial numbers?

No that would not work. That disc will only work on the machine you install it on.

On the 2 laptops that did not come with the discs, you may want to try and contact the company and see if they will send you the discs free of charge. I had to do this with my old Dell desktop. I don't know why they don't come with discs in the first place.

No that would not work. That disc will only work on the machine you install it on.

On the 2 laptops that did not come with the discs, you may want to try and contact the company and see if they will send you the discs free of charge. I had to do this with my old Dell desktop. I don't know why they don't come with discs in the first place.

that's awesome.... not :(

The disc would work on any OEM version of Windows you need to install it on. However, the SERIAL is what you can only put on 1 computer.

The MEDIA is reusable and not tied to a serial. Yes, a serial has to be used, but you could use your disk with a different serial.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom