Quick Question - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Closed Thread
Old 02-10-2006, 04:17 PM   #1 (permalink)
Content Team
Default Quick Question

I have a question about my Front Side Bus on my Asus K8N mobo. In the manual it says it is 800MHz but when I looked the other 754 mobo's asus has they list their FSB at 1600MT/s. what is the difference between MHz and MT/s?

Old 02-10-2006, 04:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
S e c u r e d

MT/s :

A MegaTransfer is a unit of measurement that refers to the rate of signal on parallel I/O buses (like SCSI) where the data transfer rate depends upon the amount of data transferred in each data cycle, and is independent of the width of the bus. MegaTransfer is abbreviated at MT and is commonly seen written in the per second form; MT/s or MT/Sec.

An Example: A 10 MT/sec rate on a 1-byte wide (narrow) bus results in a 10 Mbytes/sec transfer rate, but on a 2-byte (wide) bus, it is a 20 Mbytes/sec transfer rate.

Abbreviation for megahertz. One MHz represents one million cycles per second. The speed of microprocessors, called the clock speed, is measured in megahertz. For example, a microprocessor that runs at 200 MHz executes 200 million cycles per second. Each computer instruction requires a fixed number of cycles, so the clock speed determines how many instructions per second the microprocessor can execute. To a large degree, this controls how powerful the microprocessor is. Another chief factor in determining a microprocessor's power is its data width (that is, how many bits it can manipulate at one time).

In addition to microprocessors, the speeds of buses and interfaces are also measured in MHz.
Closed Thread