Quick Graphics card Question...

Status
Not open for further replies.

myowngod

In Runtime
I'm looking to upgrade my systems card... Was going to do two 1gb 4870s, which is about 450 bucks, minus whatever i can sell my card for... would I be better off going with one of the X2s? or perhaps a single 295 or 280 card? I guess If I were to buy a single X2 i could always run another if I ever needed it... any opinions? I am not a hardcore gamer, I just like to run high settings and fast at 1920x1200 resolution whenever I do game... mainly looking for longevity of my system, as I don't want to upgrade to i7 until the benefits outweigh the costs for my uses...

Also... any reason in particular I can't start a thread in the for sale section? I have the required number of posts....

Its pretty up in the air as to which system is better.
Benchmarks show one or the other in different circumstances. I consider the x2 better, if only because I have this baseless fear of SLI, and for some reason I consider the X2 safer.

But I don't think you can SLI 2 x2s....that'd be 4 GPUs, but I know it has been done. the GV-3D1 was essentially 2 6600 that was successfully SLI'd.

It's called Crossfire by the way and yes two X2's can be done. But it's pointless, because one is good enough for any game out now.

so basically... it depends? neither is prominently better... so get what's cheapest then? or whatever i like more... hmm..

I always like to get a little extra than what I currently need, gives me a little more 'breathing room' with games. Plus, if you can spend the extra cash, why not? :)

I always like to get a little extra than what I currently need, gives me a little more 'breathing room' with games. Plus, if you can spend the extra cash, why not? :)

If I had to do it over again I would go with a single card, especially with the 4800 series.. One generates alot of heat let alone two... Not to mention if you don't want to crossfire now you can still add another x2 in later as an easy upgrade...

Unless you want to play games at a very high resolution....above 1900x1200....or unless you are into benchmarking....a good one card solution is the ticket...IMO

Performance-wise, I like the GTX 295. It beats out the X2, but it depends on the games, it varies.

Or you can get 4850 for less than 150 and play any game you want at 1680x1050 resolution.

Then in a year get the newest bang for buck card.

Dropping a fortune on the current highest end card is never a good financial idea and unless your gaming on a 24 or 30 inch lcd there's really no point.

**** the 8600GT in my laptop runs almost all my games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom