Questions about single rank memory vs dual rank memory? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Closed Thread
Old 07-28-2009, 08:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Techie
Default Questions about single rank memory vs dual rank memory?

My understanding is that dual rank memory is less dense and less expensive than single rank memory. But I've also read that a motherboard has only so many 'ranks' and you fill them up faster with dual rank memory.

Is this true? Does anyone have experience with this specification in memory? This is the first time I've run into the concept of 'single' and 'dual' rank memory.

Old 07-29-2009, 11:16 AM   #2 (permalink)
G33K P0W3R!!!!
Location: HickTown, California (hesperia), and West Hollywood
Default Re: Questions about single rank memory vs dual rank memory?

Im not entirely knowledgeable on this, but from my understanding of memory so far in life, is single rank memory is single sided memory (eg memory chips on one side) and dual rank memory is memory chips located on both sides of the chip.

And yes, you would fill up the motherboards ranks faster with double rank ram becuase dual rank ram has a higher capacity than single rank

say you have 8 ranks on your board and 8 ram slots.

You would only be able to load 8 * 1 rank cards, however, you would only be allowed to allocate 4 slots with dual rank memory (4 * 2 = 8)

Hope this helps, I have never run into a rank alocation problem, also, i dont know where to look either to find the rank limitations for a desktop motherboard unless your running a mac

BTW dual rank ram is MORE dense than single rank ram. It is more dence because you have ram chips populating both sides of the ram card versus one with single rank.

EG: you buy two chips of samsung ram. They both are (in theory) the highest capacity ram on the market (this is just a theory, learning only) one chip of ram is single rank with 4 ram chips on one side, the other is dual rank with 4 ram chips on each side (8 total). each ram chip on each card is 512 mb. therefore the single rank card would have a max capacity of 2gb while the dual rank would have a max capacity of 4gb.
Listen to my music! and random/funny videos XD
Need a HDTV? Come find me at BestBuy #108 in Victorville XD
:D-----v Just pwnt my cpu, 900mhz OC v-----:D
Closed Thread