Questions about Antec P180

Status
Not open for further replies.

Navaros

Baseband Member
I'm thinking about getting an Antec P180. I already bought and paid for all my other parts which are:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Dual Core Processor LGA775 Conroe 2.40GHZ 1066FSB 4MB Retail

Zalman CNPS9500 LED Copper CPU Heat Sink 92MM Fan 1350-2600RPM 18-27.5DBA W/ Blue LED

Corsair XMS2 TWIN2X2048-6400C4 2GB 2X1GB PC6400 DDR2-800 CL 4-4-4-12 240PIN
Dual Channel Memory Kit

OCZ GameXStream 600W ATX12V 24PIN SLI Ready Active PFC ATX Power Supply 120MM Fan Black

ASUS P5W DH Deluxe ATX LGA775 975X DDR2 2PCI-E16 2PCI-E1 3PCI SATA2 GBLAN Sound Motherboard

EVGA E-GEFORCE 7600 GT KO 580MHZ 256MB 128BIT 1.5GHZ GDDR3 Dual DVI-I HDTV Out Video Card

I plan on taking my old IDE hard drive and IDE DVD drive and IDE CDRW drive into this case if possible.

Here is my questions. Specific answers to all of them would be greatly appreciated.

Questions

To optimize performance of your P180 the choice of your power supply is crucial. Antec strongly recommends choosing from our Phantom, NeoHE or TruePower series

1. Would my OCZ GameXStream 600W be fine in the P180 case or am I really in trouble for not getting the ones they listed? Are the cables on the OCZ GameXStream 600W long enough to work on this case?

I want to keep my case as dust free as possible. I notice the P180 has "Built in washable air-filter".

2. What areas of the case does the "Built in washable air-filter" cover and what areas of it does it mean I don't need dust filters over my fans for? How many fan dust filters would I need to buy in order to keep this case as 100% dust-free as possible?

3. Which direction should I make my Zalman CNPS9500 LED face?

4. Is there any way to disable the LED of the Zalman CNPS9500 LED since I can't see it anyhow with this case?

5. Should I use the thermal grease that comes with the Zalman CNPS9500 LED or buy some Artic Silver instead? I want to do whichever is more ideal.

6. Does the Antec P180 come with a manual?

7. Are there any technical reasons why it may be better for me to have a professional assemble my parts into the P180 or would it be just as good for me to do it myself even though I have never worked on a case that unorthodox before? I do know how to build computers for the most part although what I am uncomfortable with in general is: mounting the motherboard, putting thermal paste onto a heatsink, mounting the heatsink, connecting the highly technical small cables of the motherboard (not the large molex connectors; I mean like HDD light cable etc.)

8. I forsee problems with my IDE drive plans seeing as the ASUS P5W DH Deluxe apparently only has one IDE connector. Is there any way to work around this problem so that I can use all 3 of my 3 IDE drives with this motherboard?

1. No idea.

2. My guess would be in the front of the case, in front of the intake fan(s).

3. Blowing from front to back.

4. I don't think so.

5. You can't go wrong with AS5.

6. Yes, according to the pics on NewEgg.

7. You can do it. Read up on the parts you're unsure of, make sure you ground yourself, and go at it. You will have a much better sense of ownership when you build it yourself.

8. You will have to get an IDE controller card. That's the problem with mobo manufacturer's going to a new standard, but the optical drive manufacturers not going along. Plextor makes one or two SATA drives, but they ain't cheap.

***At least I gave you the answers I could.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom