Question regarding the transferring of VHS tapes to digital files for storage?

The same thing about tech has been said for decades now and I think time itself has proven that the theories about some of our technology are just bogus. There is scientific principle behind the theories but the reality actually makes them partly bogus. For instance, like I said earlier I have HDDs that are as old as I am that have been stored in Texas storage buildings that still work. I have Quantum Fireball drives that my dad used in his 386/486 and I used in my first machine that still work and those themselves are damn near 20 years old. I'm not saying they are a viable solution but just the fact that there are tons of drives like these still working and retaining data means that a lot of what's said is just theory.
The same stuff has been said about SSDs when they first came out. THey will die so quickly yada yada but now those same theorists and claimants are saying that flash media is actually better for storing data long term and that modern SSDs can outlast HDDs in write capacity. Le derp! :lol:

I remember the flack I got when I got my first SSD to use 24/7 in 2008. Pretty much every person on each board I was on at the time gave me crap saying it's a waste, it's useless, it'll die quickly, SSDs are finicky tech, you name it. Still runs today.

The issue is, a LOT of SSD's did die early on, as did a LOT of flash based media. Though those issues have been "fixed" for the most part quickly. I still have a OCZ Vertex 2 60GB SSD sitting here. It reports 89TB worth of data has been wrote to it over the course of it's life.

Back
Top Bottom