Question regarding mini ITX and recommended PSU

Status
Not open for further replies.

96300NAZ

Beta member
Hey guys,

I've been looking into the car computing scene for quite sometime and have some unanswered questions that are puzzling me.

I was looking at using the

MSI Fuzzy GM965 mobo. (Resource Not Found.
Intel C 2 Duo T7100
PNY GeForce 8400 GS / 256MB DDR2 / PCI Express / DVI / VGA / HDTV / Low Profile / Video Card.

I guess i dont quite understand how to calculate the psu requirements.

Reading the MSI manual it describes the under load amps for each voltage line. They list some hardware they used during the test to get the results. Pg 16. However, when i calculate the watts each line produce and added them i dont calculate anywhere near the 350watt PSU that the manual recommends a few pages later. Pg 24

Also, the vid card recommends a 300w PSU. How loose are these recommendations. If 300w is my min then my only vehicle PSU choice is an OPUS 320w. Yet i look at other projects using similar hardware and the PSU wattage they use is much lower. 350watts seems pretty high for a mobile processor(merom family).

According to the eXtreme Power Supply Calculator v2.5

I selected the following hardware

Single Socket
Regular Desktop
Intel Core 2 Duo T7200
2 sticks DDR2
Nvidia Geforce 7300 GS
1 IDE 7200 (I would expect the wattage to be lower because i intend to use a 2.5inch)
DVD RW Drive
SB Audio Card
4 USB devices
1 80mm fan

the result is 146w PSU recommended. Its no where near the recommended 350 MSI states. 146 is what i would expect from a mobile processor system.

Any help resolving this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom