Question regarding LCD monitors and fps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saint71

In Runtime
My question is basically this. How can I tell what the theoretical maximum number or fps I can get with an LCD monitor? I know with a CRT its not going to go higher than the refresh rate. But since an LCD doesnÂ’t have a refresh rate how can I find out what the theoretical max in fps would be.

Nitestick, about that.... what is the "Horizional Refresh Rate" for LCDs then? Is it not the refresh rate [honestly asking lol, not a criticization]?

Because if it is then LCDs can reach 80khz+

-Jo.

The refresh rate can be calculated from the horizontal scan rate by dividing by the number of horizontal lines and multiplying the result by 0.95 (since about 5% of the time it takes to scan the screen is spent moving the electron gun back to the top). For instance, a monitor with a horizontal scanning frequency of 96 kHz at a resolution of 1280 × 1024 a refresh rate of 96,000 / 1024 × 0.95 = 89 Hz (rounded down).

from wikipedia. although it does also state that refresh rate is apparently irrelevant :/

I don't know a **** of a lot about LCDs, but I know that it is quite possible to get more FPS than the refresh rate of your monitor. I get a framerate of nearly 220FPS in indoor parts of Far Cry, but my CRT monitor's max refresh rate at 1024x768 is only 85Hz. And at 1280x1024, it's only 60Hz, and I still get about 150+ FPS indoors, so I don't see how refresh rate has anything to do with it. And that is with vertical sync turned on.

well refresh rate of 60 hz is only displaying 60 fps.. you can get more, but its just not displaying those extra frames

btw, i have seen you in a while magouster, how do you like your new rig?

Oh okay, I see! My bad! :D

The new rig is okay. Just got myself a 19" CRT as well, so now I can play my games at 1600x1200! Woohoo!

Only problem now, is the fact that after I purchased everything, I read reviews about the GFX card, realised I might have made a mistake, hoped I wouldn't get all the problem, got my hopes up cause it was working fine....... and then BAM, I got the flickering and artifacting all the other eVGA cards are experiencing. I'm not going to RMA it yet, as downclocking it to stock 7900GT speeds have made the problems less frequent, but it's still there!

I'm hoping the G80 comes out before my 90day step-up opportunity passes, otherwise I'm just going to step-up to the 7950. But I don't want it, I want a G80! Come on nVidia, get a move on!

Sabotage how? If you know of a way, PM me (since I'm pretty sure such underhanded things won't be condoned by the mods either! :D )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom