Question regarding FX-7x processors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright:

Lets look at something here. Your talking about Quad Core CPU's Right?

Can you name three Programs or games (With Links) that are for the Home user that fully takes advantage of Dual Core Processors? Can you even NAME ONE Program or Game RIGHT NOW that fully takes advantage of Quad Core CPU's?

No, you can't. Why? Because hardware advances far faster than software can take advantage of it. The point is, theres no reason to be buying Quad core CPU's now. There are hardly (If any) applications that use all four Cores. And don't give me that"Longevity" arguement. It is far smarter to Build for software and applications now, save your money and build a new computer when the software you need to use takes advantage of the hardware out there.

Since your heading that way anyways, Ill help ya out. Go with a 6400 or a 6600, get good RAM, Motherboard, heatsink, power supply and Cooling. And Overclock it. The C2D's out now will last a long time. Especially since many applications and programs don't fully take advantage of dual core CPU's.

Just tell us your budget and what programs you want to run. I garuntee that we will provide a well built list.

Ste said:
Alright:

Can you name three Programs or games (With Links) that are for the Home user that fully takes advantage of Dual Core Processors? Can you even NAME ONE Program or Game RIGHT NOW that fully takes advantage of Quad Core CPU's?

No, you can't. Why? Because hardware advances far faster than software can take advantage of it. The point is, theres no reason to be buying Quad core CPU's now. There are hardly (If any) applications that use all four Cores. And don't give me that"Longevity" arguement. It is far smarter to Build for software and applications now, save your money and build a new computer when the software you need to use takes advantage of the hardware out there.

Since your heading that way anyways, Ill help ya out. Go with a 6400 or a 6600, get good RAM, Motherboard, heatsink, power supply and Cooling. And Overclock it. The C2D's out now will last a long time. Especially since many applications and programs don't fully take advantage of dual core CPU's.

Just tell us your budget and what programs you want to run.

Thanks for your response, I really appreciate the help. I'm sorry but I can't honestly say I have a list of programs that would benefit from quad core right now, besides something like multimedia editing or encoding. The reason I wanted to go quad core is because I heard that Valve (the developer behind Half-Life and Steam, etc.) said gamers won't really notice a great performance increase until quad (edit) core. Stardock, the developer behind GalCiv2 has also said that.

But, yes, I have decided on a dual-core Core 2 Duo chip now because of the respones I've been given on this thread.

My current budget is 1,500.00 - 1,800.00 for a gaming computer to run Vista Ultimate, with a TV Tuner and not including the monitor. If anyone could recommend any companies they trust for any of the hardware or even a suggested spec list, that would be a huge help to me, because I plan to build this myself rather than buy from someone like Dell or iBuyPower. Also I would like the computer to have lost of room for upgrading in the future to SLI or a Dual-core setup.

Also would it be worth just sticking with Vista Home Premium instead of Ultimate? Thanks in advance.

E6600 (Artic Silver 5/Scythe Ninja/120MM Delta)
eVGA 680i
8800GTX
2 GB's (1x1GB) DDR2 800 Dominator
Audigy 2 ZS Or Blue gears 7.1 Mystique (Sound card)
Corsair 620 Power supply
74 GB Raptor
320 GB 16MB SATA Seagate Drive
Optorite (Or samsung) DVD Drive
sceptre 19" or 20.1 Inch Widesreen
Some large Case (Antec, silverstone, tt)

i say e6400 and a p5b or ds3 mobo (stay away from 680i chipset unless you go with e6700).
everyone else can help you with your other components. with the right parts that cpu and mobo will last a long time.

I just named one board I knew of. Here the rest I know without refering to Links.
Gigabyte DS3 Sli
ASUS P5B
ASUS P5B E
eVGA 680i

yeah, according to that article (and others) there is also a hinderance with the ram speed when you try to overclock it.
which kinda sucks for such a great board.
it is a REALLY good mobo for the high end c2d's apparently, but keeps the low end cpu's from realizing their full potential. kind of ironic...

Ste said:
Alright:

Just tell us your budget and what programs you want to run. I garuntee that we will provide a well built list.

Call of Futy 2 with the new patch takes advantage of dual core ;) as for 3 apps. i cant think of any which sucks. but with new games that will change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom