Question regarding CPU and heatsink.

Status
Not open for further replies.

unsung

Baseband Member
Hi guys I bought the intel i5 750 chipset. I was reading up on how to install CPU and heatsink and it said I need thermal paste. I have already install my heatsink without one. Is it needed? On the intel CPU instruction it doesn't say anything about it, I haven't read the mobo instruction yet. Is it needed? Would I be Ok without it? BTW the case i'm using is the cooler master HAF 922 with lot of air ventilation.

Also another question I have so far is how do I know which way to install my back plate?

Thanks

You should definitely try to get yourself some good thermal paste. I personally recommend TX-2, as it's around 5.99 from newegg and it works beautifully.

The heatsink directly on the top of the processor will work, but not very effectively, and you will see a drastic drop in temperatures from the use of thermal paste.

I usually don't have many problems with the back plate, it goes in BEFORE the motherboard, and you can just line it up with your eyes. It's really not that difficult.

Thermal paste is a must my man, it will keep it cooler much more, its pretty cheap as well. I'm actually suprised that your computer hasn't shut down from getting to hot honestly.

Boxed processors have some kind of thermal paste on heatsink but it is not good one. With good paste you can down CPU temp by few degrees. I'm very sutisfied with ArcticSilver3 (5 is even better) and it least for quite many uses, I have my one for 10€ for 5 years already and used for mounting 15+ CPU's and it is still nto empty.

Boxed processors have some kind of thermal paste on heatsink but it is not good one. With good paste you can down CPU temp by few degrees. I'm very sutisfied with ArcticSilver3 (5 is even better) and it least for quite many uses, I have my one for 10€ for 5 years already and used for mounting 15+ CPU's and it is still nto empty.

lol you got your moneys worth out of that thermal paste lol

If you are not going to overclock, then the thermal pad on the cpu should be just fine...if you are going to overclock, then you may want to get some thermal paste.

If you are not going to overclock, then the thermal pad on the cpu should be just fine...if you are going to overclock, then you may want to get some thermal paste.

I don't plan on overlocking for now, can I do the paste later on after I turn on my computer for the first time to see if my first build is good first? Once I do overlock, then can I just take the heatsink out and then add paste on it?

This is my first build so I want to see if I did everything correct first and see if the computer turn on. Getting the heatsink out would be somewhat of a hassle I think or maybe not.

What do you guys think. Can I use the computer for a few days until I get the thermal paste and then put it on? Or do I need to add it first before turning it on? And which type of paste do you recommend? Is there any place other than newegg like non online retailer since they take forever to ship, and yes even 3 to 4 days is a lot for me cause the whole process of building your own computer is very exciting.

Once again don't plan on overlocking at least not for a while. I want to understand every process of my mobo, case, etc... before I get into the good stuff.:D

yes, you can use the stock heatsink for now and it will work.

later on if/when you want to OC, its recommended to get some more thermal paste and an aftermarket cooler.

if you want to use different thermal paste while still using the stock heatsink, dont add it on top of whats already there. you have to clean off the old paste first and then apply a fresh layer.

yes, you can use the stock heatsink for now and it will work.

later on if/when you want to OC, its recommended to get some more thermal paste and an aftermarket cooler.

if you want to use different thermal paste while still using the stock heatsink, dont add it on top of whats already there. you have to clean off the old paste first and then apply a fresh layer.

Hey Muffin Man thanks for that website on how to build computers, that really help me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom