Question for an external HDD and Win xp and Mac OSX

Status
Not open for further replies.

zetahammy

Baseband Member
Ok, So my girlfriend has an ibook and I have my pc thats in my sig. The thing is that I'm planning to get her a bigger internal HDD in her laptop. So what I did was bought a Seagate 500gb 7200rpm (perpendicular recording) off of newegg.com and an hdd external exclosure... with thoughts of simply just copying her files on the external hdd, holding them there, and then throwing them back on when the new hdd is installed and Mac OSX reinstalled.

So then I formatted the external HDD on my pc as normal as an NTFS format and it seems to work as normal. But then when i plug it in to her mac through the USB, I can view the files on there but I can't add or delete any files on there from the mac. I'm assuming this is because it's only being seen as a "read-only" file? If that's the case, then what can I do to solve this problem with what I already have? If I can't do ne thing then what can I do differently? I mean if she had a DVD Burner I woudl do that, but she just has a CD-burner and like 60GB of files worth, I don't really want to burn like 40+ CDs and then copy them all back. Or use a small like 2gb flash drive to continusously switch back and forth.

Any responses would be much appreciated! Thanks!

There is a tool within the Mac OS to format hard drives. I think its called DiskSetup. You can always Google that. As for why you cant write to the hard drive, I'm not too familiar with the new Mac OS's but make sure shes in the equivalent of the administrator account and that the folder on the new hard drive she is writing to isn't write protected. Also if any software came with the external enclosure install it. Macs are normally good about not needing that but who knows...

If your not going to go that route then macs and pcs can be networked together if she has OSX i believe. Just set up some sharing and copy>paste away!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom