Question about upgrading my CPU?

Status
Not open for further replies.

spinard

Solid State Member
I have a P4 3.2, 800MHZ FSB motherboard, 2GB PC4200 RAM and PCIE 1950 512MB video card. My question is if I upgraded to a core 2 duo 3.16 processor would I see any increase in performance in games such as crysis and the soon to be released far cry 2 and new call of duty game? Also the processor I want is 1333MHZ FSB and i would put that into a 800 motherboard, is that bad?

I have a P4 3.2, 800MHZ FSB motherboard, 2GB PC4200 RAM and PCIE 1950 512MB video card. My question is if I upgraded to a core 2 duo 3.16 processor would I see any increase in performance in games such as crysis and the soon to be released far cry 2 and new call of duty game? Also the processor I want is 1333MHZ FSB and i would put that into a 800 motherboard, is that bad?

You'll get at least a 10x performance increase from changing to the core architecture, and any games that support multiple threads will definitely benefit. You will likely want a new motherboard, however.

i dought a mobo designed for 800 fsb cpu's will support 1333 fsb let alone a quad or 45nm cpu, chipset is prolly to old ur gonna need a new mobo.

new mobo and RAM definitely, if you're gonna keep the same gpu then you can probablyy keep your current PSU, but if you want a new GPU, your gonna have to get a PSU to go with it

One thing to look out for, is if the mainboard lists FSB clock, while the processor lists a Rated FSB assuming 2 transfers per clock cycle.

Technically, my FSB is running at 711MHz, but it's sending instructions to the CPU at a rate of 1422MHz.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom