question about thermal paste.. - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 11-26-2005, 03:20 PM   #11 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

The X800GTO2 is actually a very good choice despite what most people here will tell you. It unlocks to the full pipelines and clockspeeds of the X850XTPE, which is double the cost, and it blows any card in the geforce 6 series if you look at fps alone. even overclocking a 6800gs is not going to be able to beat it, a 16 pipe card with 540/1180 clock speeds, not to mention you can probably OC it more. but it still lacks shader model 3, which is why most people don't get it, but for $240, it's a definate steal:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814102634

this is simply the cold, unbiased truth that people need to accept. kind of like garra's thread about sli and crossfire.

Old 11-26-2005, 03:21 PM   #12 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Send a message via AIM to MrZucchiniHead

yeah i agree its better, im not a really big nvidia fanboy and anything you unlock or overclock onthe X800GTO2 you can do the same or even better with the 6800GS plus Shader Model 3

Old 11-26-2005, 03:25 PM   #13 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

First of all, the 6800gs is a 12 pipe card, that CAN NOT be unlocked, and it only has 425/1000 clock speeds, and while it is known for being a great overclocker, it's not even going to get close to 540/1180, at least not on air cooling. Even if you have water cooling and can overclock it that fast (which I still doubt would happen), it would still not be fast enough, because the x850xtpe still has 4 extra pipes, but it still only has shader model 2, but thats hardly enough to justify getting a 6800GS, which would be noticeably slower even overclocked. And once again, the 6800GS CAN NOT be unlocked. not to mention this guy says he's not going to be overclocking, unlocking the gto2 is not overclocking as the guy above me said, it's just flashing to a different BIOS.
Old 11-26-2005, 03:35 PM   #14 (permalink)
True Techie

Yeah PZEROFGH listen to 003. I'm not an ATI fanboy I was just stateing the best card for the price. I challenge you to find something more powerful for this price and with 2 of em together I ment for a powerful system without a high cost. And MrZucchiniHead stop saying things you don't actually know. Like the 6800GS unlocking . I don't know why everyone keeps having ago at me they don't actually know which is better. It seems almost everyone (except for 003 and me and a few other people) on this forums largely favours Nvida. Please actually find out the facts before you say what you are saying.
Old 11-26-2005, 04:13 PM   #15 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Flanker

Quote:
Originally posted by kahlos
Yeah PZEROFGH listen to 003. I'm not an ATI fanboy I was just stateing the best card for the price. I challenge you to find something more powerful for this price and with 2 of em together I ment for a powerful system without a high cost. And MrZucchiniHead stop saying things you don't actually know. Like the 6800GS unlocking . I don't know why everyone keeps having ago at me they don't actually know which is better. It seems almost everyone (except for 003 and me and a few other people) on this forums largely favours Nvida. Please actually find out the facts before you say what you are saying.
And you stop saying you have 2 X800GTOs in Crossfire.
Old 11-26-2005, 04:59 PM   #16 (permalink)
The Water Cooling Guru

Rofl

Stupid Flammers...

Dont make me get a mod in here!

Thanks!

The Official Tech Forums Water Cooling Informational Guide
Old 11-26-2005, 06:14 PM   #17 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Okay..like I said I will never overclock.

I purchased the processor retail from newegg, is thermal paste REQUIRED or will it be just fine with whever the heatsinc comes with it?
Old 11-26-2005, 06:45 PM   #18 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

No, it is not required. BTW, you will end up overclocking, so it would be a good idea to get anyway, for $5:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835100007
Here is a guide that tells you exactly how to apply it:
http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_s...tions_big2.htm
Old 11-26-2005, 06:47 PM   #19 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Send a message via AIM to MrZucchiniHead

yeah how did we get to talking about grphics in a thread about thermal paste. lol and yeah you say you wont over clock but you will, its only 5 buck just get it and even if you dont it will keep your cpu cooler then the stock cooling.
Old 11-26-2005, 07:41 PM   #20 (permalink)
Newb Techie

All im asking if whether or not the thermal paste is required if I am not overclocking. Thats it. Is it a necessesity?

Closed Thread