Question about Thermal Paste

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sigma62

Solid State Member
So, long story short, I'm about to start my first build in about 2 weeks. I just got my CPU / Heat sink in the mail. Its a Intel Core 2 duo E7300. So, as I was checking it out, I wasn't really paying attention and I accidental touched the pre-installed thermal compound on the heat sink. I didn't really think anything of it at first but then realized that could be a very bad thing. My question is, should I buy a thermal compound cleaner kit and some thermal compound and install my own? Or can I get away with using the pre installed? Its not like I smudged the **** out of it, I just touched it and you can see a little indent in the grease. This being my first build, I don't really know to much about thermal compound and whatnot so I figured I'd come here and ask. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. :)

Just leave it, you'll be fine. I would be more worried if you touched the connection side of the processor. All that thermal compound is is a greasy paste mixture to transfer heat. NO HARM can be done to it by touching it unless you removed a good portion of it to where it wouldn't transfer heat properly.

IMO you're fine.

Alright yah, thanks. Yah The processor is still in the case, I just took the heatsink out and touched the paste, none of it was removed in the process I just wanted to make sure that I couldn't harm it from the grease on my fingers and whatnot. Lol run on sentence. Thanks again :)

Just keep an eye on your CPU temps when you fire that baby up. If It is getting much higher than 60C on full load you may want to replace the paste but it should not be a problem.

You will be fine lol. Its just a paste to help transfer heat. As long as you didnt remove it then its ok.

No need for a cleaning kit. I use lint-free paper towels (coffee filters work) to wipe of the bulk of it, then rubbing alcohol and cotton swabs to finish the job.

I am still using my tube of MX1, but MX2 is a little better. ArticSilver is still a good standby, as well. But if you are sticking with the stock cooler, just use what is on it.

MX 1 & 2 beat ArticSilver. There are some decent articles that bench several different pastes... I used to have them bookmarked, but that was a couple of hard drives ago. you',, have to Google it. There was one paste that blew them all away, but I don't remember the name. It was hard to find, as well.

It really depends on how the paste is applied.
I find it impossible to create accurate benchmarks for thermal pastes.

I just use a regular branded one. <_<

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom