question about SLI n Crossfire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wildside

Hellfire!
hey there guys, im just curious is to how it works. My friend told me that u need 2 of the same kind of graphics card to make SLI work, well does that go with brand or no?

same goes with with Crossfire, do u need the same kind of graphics card n brand or just same kind?

my friend has an eVGA 7900 GTX n he says u need the same kind of graphics card but doesnt know if it has to be the same brand.

It doesn't have to be the same brand. Just have to be the same kind and speed. For SLI, as long as it's two 7900GTXs of any brand, SLI will work. Same with Crossfire.

Crossfire works a little differently. You can Crossfire any two cards that are Crossfire ready, however they will only operate as well as the lowest of the two cards. For example you could crossfire an x1600 and an x1800, but the x1800 would only operate at the effeciency of the x1600.

Oh...I didn't know that. Good to know...It's like mixing ram sticks of different speed.

Crossfire works a little differently. You can Crossfire any two cards that are Crossfire ready, however they will only operate as well as the lowest of the two cards. For example you could crossfire an x1600 and an x1800, but the x1800 would only operate at the effeciency of the x1600.

oooh.. .didn't know that either.... but an if u get two different card manufacturers with SLi because when u SLi them, it will scale closer to the lower clocked card.....

Also, something else annoying about crossfire, it used to be that you had to have a "Master" card to make crossfire work, although I am not sure if that is true anymore. I vaugely remember reading soemwhere that they changed that because "Master" cards were never in high enough supply.

thx for the info guys, appreciate it people. I dont think my friend wants another 7900 GTX for a while though, he's good with his 7900 GTX. Runs all the latest games with no problem, only thing is his Windows XP Pro is pirated but other than that, he is in no hurry for SLI........yet.

thx for the info guys, appreciate it people. I dont think my friend wants another 7900 GTX for a while though, he's good with his 7900 GTX. Runs all the latest games with no problem, only thing is his Windows XP Pro is pirated but other than that, he is in no hurry for SLI........yet.

lol... can't he beg microsoft out of a key?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom