Question about selling my Alienware

Nausicaa

Baseband Member
Hey guys,

I would like to get your advice on selling my Alienware laptop. I am considering selling it to build an up to date gaming desktop and would like your thoughts on that.

Here are the specs of my Alienware 17 purchased in August 2013:

Intel i7 4800 MQ
16GB Ram @1866mhz
NVIDIA GTX 780M 4gb graphics card
64gb SSD and 750gb hard drive
17'' 3D Trulife screen (comes with 3D glasses)
Klipsch integrated speakers
Qualcomm Killer gaming network card

It cost me at purchase 3400$, it's still running all the recent games at maximum settings. I got an offer for $2000 on it now, and am wondering if I should take that offer and build the desktop, or I'm still good for a while with this config?

I have not been following the technology lately, so I'm wondering if it would still be relevant for maybe another year or two.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Thank you

Hahaha!! That's what I thought, I was telling myself that if I wait longer, it will lose a lot of it's value.

I am selling before it loses value, but to be honest with you guys, I built many computers before this one and it is far from being as crappy or underpowered as you guys think :) Even now, a little than 2 years that I bought it, it still plays any game out there at maximum settings. But what I loved the most about it was the service. With a built gaming rig, you have to send the part and sometimes wait weeks before they send you another part, with Alienware, I only waited 24 hours before a tech came to my place and replaced the part, and it was never a hassle to get bthem to change the parts, one call, and even if the tests showed that my parts was running fine, they still changed it.

Sorry, I don't want to pay a premium for a name and tech support when I got myself. 2 970s for 600 bucks will run paces around any Alienware laptop on the market. Anything close will cost around 3 grand for a laptop that will perform only close to these cheap cards (SLI 980m). People like us prefer to spend money on performance rather than portability and a name.

For instance, if I was to buy a laptop right now for gaming it'd be a Eurocom, not an Alienware. Not only do you get your money worth with them, they even allow you to upgrade your laptop instead of buying a whole new one. Upgrade appeal is a big thing with enthusiasts who don't just toss cash at a screen *insert take my money GIF here*. I mean on the CPU side of things if you have a modern Intel CPU from a 2500k or above you're set, golden even. All you need to do is upgrade your GPU every couple of years to stay current and boom. Makes it last a lot longer and you don't need to worry about depreciation of a name and parts to soften the cost of the new machine.

I can understand the appeal to most people, but flashing notebooks and silly marketing campaigns are behind guys like us. I haven't gave two shits about Alienware since like 2003. Not trying to be hostile or sound rude, just giving my 2 cents on the matter.

Back
Top Bottom