Question About Power Supply to Motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

earwicker7

In Runtime
This is from the manual of the motherboard (Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD9 R) that will be arriving soon:

1/2) ATX_12V_2X/ATX_12V_2X_1/ATX (2x4 12V Power Connectors and 2x12 Main Power Connector)
With the use of the power connector, the power supply can supply enough stable power to all the components on the motherboard. Before connecting the power connector, first make sure the power supply is turned off and all devices are properly installed. The power connector possesses a foolproof design. Connect the power supply cable to the power connector in the correct orientation. The 12V power connector mainly supplies power to the CPU. If the 12V power connector is not connected, the computer will not start.
• Use of a power supply providing a 2x4 12V power connector is recommended by the CPU manufacturer when using an Intel Extreme Edition CPU (130W).
• To meet expansion requirements, it is recommended that a power supply that can withstand high power consumption be used (500W or greater). If a power supply is used that does not provide the required power, the result can lead to an unstable or unbootable system.

I'll be using a Silverstone ST1500 power supply. This is all new to me... will I need to use both of these connectors, or just one?

If you don't connect the power leads correctly, you won't blow anything up. They are also made so they will only fit one dirrection. A couple of the fittings are shaped specifically to fit a certain way. First check to see if they line up the correct way.

A few things may happen if you don't connect them correctly.

The computer won't power on. (24 pin motherboard power connector is not connected)
The computer powers on, but your computer won't POST. (8 pin cpu power connector is not connected)
The computer powers on, but you receive a loud piercing squeal. (cpu powers on, but the heatsink power connector is not connected)
Worst case scenario is the cpu gets too hot and the computer shuts down automatically.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom