question about pixel shader 3.0 vs. 2.0 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Closed Thread
Old 11-13-2006, 09:59 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default question about pixel shader 3.0 vs. 2.0

About hmm.. maybe a year and a half ago I bought my radeon x700. I recently bought the game splinter cell: double agent. This game requires pixel shader 3.0 and my current graphics card only has 2.0.

What I am wondering is, is this the only game out right now that uses pixel shader 3.0? And I have done a little research on the matter, and I've seen that graphics cards with DX10 and pixel shader 4.0 our coming out some time soon. Should I just wait for those cards or buy one right now? And, if you think I should buy one right now, what card with pixel shader 3.0 would you recommend? By the way, I want to spend no more then a little over 100$ on this new card if that helps at all.

Also, if theres a way to somehow play the game without getting a new graphics card, is there a way? Just thought it was worth asking, lol.

Old 11-13-2006, 11:42 AM   #2 (permalink)
Space Ninja Pirate

A lot of games for a while now have needed Pixel Shader 3.0. As for waiting for DX10 or getting a card now, Ihave to ask how deep is your wallet? Because the DX10 cards are he pricey side. Also, how much do you really game? If you don't paly that many games and do not necessarily always go for newer stuff like DOuble agent you would prlly be fine with a 3.0 DX9 card.

Old 11-13-2006, 11:48 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I dont game that much...any agp cards that you would recommend?
Old 11-13-2006, 12:54 PM   #4 (permalink)

These are good pixel shader 3.0 AGP cards

Old 11-13-2006, 03:27 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Man screw ubi im sending this game back to the store...all the new games like crysis will support SM 2.0 AND 4.0 so why cant double agent?
Closed Thread