Question about a P965 Mobo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sora

Renowned Budgeting Master
I was reading it over and it says this

Notice: Only DDR2-800 memory supporting JEDEC approved 1.8V operation with timings of 5-5-5 or 6-6-6 is supported on Intel Desktop Boards based on Intel 965 Express Chipsets.

The RAM i have is 1.9-2.0v at 5-5-5. The question is, I can change this later on the board im getting right? its this one

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813138037

Also will it even boot with that RAM? Maybe it would underclock it to 1.8 and I could change this later? I dont see a better board for around that price range for OC. I also know that the board is good for OC meaning you would OC your RAM to increase your FSB anyway. So how would i change the standard voltage of the board.? The people on newegg made a stupid coment like having to put in 1.8 and switch it or something.

i got a asus p5b-deluxe and my g.skill (rated for 2.1v) booted up with myn.

I read up on that problem on xtreme systems for my board. Before i got myn, i was scared too, that it wouldn't boot up either. But it booted up the first time, so i was happy.

If it does it to you, you can go to your local computer store and buy some cheap ddr2 ram and set the vdimm to the correct value. When your done, you should be able to return it.

from what i know it would work and if its a voltage issue you get a stick that runs at the required voltage set the voltage in the mobo at what is required and but your other sticks in .. i notices alot of the intel boards say this and ppl have stuff that runns at different timings....
EDIT ^^ beat me to it :D

I dont kind of understand what you just said though. What i mean will this 1.9v DDR2-800 G.Skill boot up first time in a P965? Even if it were to make it 1.8v 6-6-6 or something. Should it boot at all? I know theres a way to make it so the mobo runs on higher voltage im pretty sure.

Sora said:
Notice: Only DDR2-800 memory supporting JEDEC approved 1.8V operation with timings of 5-5-5 or 6-6-6 is supported on Intel Desktop Boards based on Intel 965 Express Chipsets.

NO idea where they got that from. Bad statement for them to make about an entire chipset.

Well Tri i have money left over on my budget and i think i'm going to get this mobo right here.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813128017

It'd be about 20 bucks more but thats my budget right there. it just seems like a better board than the Biostar Tforce, although im sure i could reach 3.2+ on both i hear that that version of the P965 can reach speeds slighlty above 400 FSB. A few people said they had it around 429 or something in their FSB at 429x9 or something.

Should i spend the extra money as oposed to $105 mobo? It says only 10 more but there was a combo with the Biostar with a C2D. Worth the extra 20 bucks? Becuase i dont have to fill my budget, i could have 20 bucks already into another GB of ram or something instead.

Last about the voltage that Gigabyte board is said to only run at 1.8 standard meaning to even get to the options to turn it to 2.0v ram i would need like a cheap stick of 1.8v to turn it up?

Sorry if it seems though i'm asking alot of questions but i'm trying to figure out the whole OC thing right now.

DDR2-800 is actully 400mhz right? meaning it would be a 1:1 ratio of your CPU FSB is 400 right? I also hear a 5:4 ratio is better or so, but is this true? That wouldnt mean DDR-900 with 400 FSB on the CPU right?

Once again sorry if I ask too many questions heh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom