Question about the nVidia 8600 and the 8800

Status
Not open for further replies.

DasDaBizzatch

Beta member
So I've recently built a machine that I'm going to use to play games like CS and hopefully Starcraft 2 when it finally comes out.

Searching around on NewEgg.com I noticed that the nVidia 8600GTS seems to have a faster Core clock speed than the 8800GTS...
Also, I've noticed that the customer reviews for the 8600 say to hold out for the 8800. While at the same time the 8800 reviews say nothing but the fact that its a huge card and runs hotter than most other cards.

So I'm wondering why I would throw another 100$+ down on a graphics card that seems to not only be slower, but also take up more room in my pc and run hotter??

well, u would throw the extra 100$ for the 8800gts 320 mb because it kills the 8600gts in everyway shape and form. its not slower trust me, its one of the best ones out there. i know its big and runs hotter, but its so worth it. if u have the money go with the 8800 gts, but if not go with some 7900 series or the x1950x series, coz i dont think the 8600 is worth that much money.

if u have the money go with the 8800 gts

I couldnt agree more. Just because the 8600gts has a higher clock speed doesn't mean its better...the 8800gts has alot more shaders and other crap. Not to say you wouldnt probably be fine with an 8600, but for a $100 id say the splurge for the 8800gts is well worth it.

On a side note, I know it probably won't happen, but wait till july 22 to see if the prices drop for the nvidia cards....not sure though.

Anyways, hope that helps.

Clock speed isn't everything, if you look at the Stream processors, the 8800 has 3 times more than the 8600gts

So I've recently built a machine that I'm going to use to play games like CS and hopefully Starcraft 2 when it finally comes out.

Searching around on NewEgg.com I noticed that the nVidia 8600GTS seems to have a faster Core clock speed than the 8800GTS...
Also, I've noticed that the customer reviews for the 8600 say to hold out for the 8800. While at the same time the 8800 reviews say nothing but the fact that its a huge card and runs hotter than most other cards.

So I'm wondering why I would throw another 100$+ down on a graphics card that seems to not only be slower, but also take up more room in my pc and run hotter??
the 8800 GTS has 96 shaders, but the 8600 GT only has 32.

The 8800 GTS is faster, because it has 3 times the amount of shaders.

Actually I have one last concern.

I'm wondering if the 8800 or even the 8600 for that matter would be overkill for me.

I'm mainly playing Counter-Strike and Supreme Commander. As of now I have an integrated 6100 and I get horrible lag (expected)

Thanks again

CS:S is easy for an 8600GTS however Supreme Commander is a powerful game and much tougher on PC's than Counter Strike. If you want supreme comander to also look really good as well then the 8800GTs is what you want.

an 8600gt is for media centre use it is for moderate gaming within a htpc is primary purpose is home theatre computer use not gaming although it does make quite a nice budget dx10 card

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom