question about new purchase

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nagasama

disgruntled ex-moderator
hi there people i have some (probably dumb)questions
i am looking to buy a new computer, what i use it for will vary...i will be web browsing of course and emailing, but i will also be playing games. not neccesarily "hardcore", so to speak, but i would like pretty much any game i play to be displayed very well, not just "playable" or "decent". mostly would be strategy, some 3d games, and flight simulators.
the system i am looking at consists of:
amd athlon 64x2 4600+ nForce 430 chipset with am2 socket.
2gb ddr2 ram @ 533 mhz
160 gb hard drive 7200 rpm
nvidia Ge Force 7900gt 256mb (or ati x1900gt 256)
is this a decent set up?
i also wonder if i need the 64x2...or should i just go with an amd 64 3800+? (which i have read is also a very good cpu for gaming)
is the dual core going to help with everyday usage and games? or is it just for 3d design and such?
any help is mucho appreciated!

Well soon games are going to be designed for dual core, so I would get a dual core. Also to save you some money get an X2 4400+ and just overclock it. Also for about the same price you can get a 7900GTO which outperforms those two cards you're thinking about.

also...sorry...
but the case this comes in has a 305watt power supply.
will i need to purchase a 400-450 watt for enough juice for the graphics?
I think the GeForce 7900gt requires 400 watts, but it also comes with its own external power supply(?).
thnaks again

Yea a 400W is the minimum. I'd get 450-500 to be on the safe side. But get the 7900GTO it's a much better graphics card for the same price as the GT. And no they don't come with an external PSU.

EDIT: The GTO's minimum is 450W, so I suggest 500-550.

Well first off it's not as simple as looking at the Wattage. You'll also need to consider how much juice is being put out on the V rails and what kind of namebrand we're talking about here. It's very important you buy a Powersupply from a reliable company or you're risking your entire PC's safety. When Powersupplies die, they like to take their innocent little friends with them.

That said, a 450W PSU from a reliable company would probably be enough, but personally I would get a stronger PSU to be more future proof.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom