Question about memory for MOBO's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CMBrooker85

Solid State Member
Sorry about stupid questions but i dont know about some of the deeper specs of some of this hardware. What im trying to find out is if the motherboard youre going to get has in the specs, "Memory Standard: DDR2 1200" for instance, like this ASUS here, does that mean its not going to work with products such as GPU's like the 4850 that are DDR3? Or if it will work are you still going to get bad performance since the motherboard isnt DDR3?

By the same token can you only get RAM that is DDR2 1200? DDR2 1000 wont work for example?

No, the GPU ram has nothing to do with mobo specs. You can get a vid card with DDR3 on it no problem

If a mobo supports DDR2 1200, it will support all DDR2 that is slower than that, DDR2 1066, DDR2 800, etc.

Sorry about stupid questions but i dont know about some of the deeper specs of some of this hardware. What im trying to find out is if the motherboard youre going to get has in the specs, "Memory Standard: DDR2 1200" for instance, like this ASUS here, does that mean its not going to work with products such as GPU's like the 4850 that are DDR3? Or if it will work are you still going to get bad performance since the motherboard isnt DDR3?

By the same token can you only get RAM that is DDR2 1200? DDR2 1000 wont work for example?

Yep it will still work

GDDR3 is Video RAM
DDR2 is Physical RAM

They aren't co-related you can still use GDDR3 on a DDR2 board

ddr 1200 is usually an OC speed. So when you pop it in it'll run at 800mhz but you can OC to 1200. Incase you do buy it don't expect to run right at 1200mhz w/ out having to OC it.

Cool, thanks guys.

P.S. Ill have to look into overclocking. I know virutally nothing about it aside from its concept and purpose.

Don't worry about frying stuff... just don't get selfish and do it carefully you won't have to worry about RMA'ing anything... we'll all guide you through it if you need help

Its just a matter of changing numbers and having adequate cooling and that equals free performance

AWESOME! Thanks man, and i assure you ill be lookiong for help. Im about to post the build im ordering to see what you guys think.

BTW reply #1... EPIC FAIL

That guy is a spammer anyways... he tried to spam some "Computer Matters" Place or something..

I'll remove his post..

He only got a warning because he posted that wrong post up there before to not look as like a Spammer.. ahh w/e who needs spammers (Wait I know this one... the Recycle Bin does!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom