Question about determining +/- wires

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabb

gone
So yeah now comes time for me to put the power LED/power SW/Hard drive LED/reset SW/Speaker etc pins into the mobo. Problem is I can't tell whats the positive or negative wires to put them in their pins. The manual says to be sure to match up the + or negative. I mean on the black plastic for the wire itself it shows an Arrow usually next to a red wire, and a G for the other wire ( mostly black but sometimes white or something ). Is it safe to assume the arrow means positive?

EDIT: I guess I'll just go with this statement: " Pay attention to positive and negative pins on the header; you need to attach the leads so that the colored wire is over the positive pin and the white wire is over the negative (or ground) pin. "

found here: Smart Computing Article - Best Budget Linux Server Under $500

Color wires are positive, white are negative.
This is actually VERY simple.
For switches: either way works.
For LEDs, if the light doesn't show up, switch it around.
Two simple ideas so you don't get confused.

lol i just plugged mine and not even sure which one is positive and neg.

I just plugged it in and it worked lolz.

could this be the cause of why i get a static sound when i use my mouse or when i do anything on my computer like scroll down, switch windows and etc? because i didnt attach them correctly? ill try to fix that 2morrow and see if it solves the issue why i get statics on headphones cuz my headphones is attached to the one that is on the case.

Yep, that would be a ground wire issue. Your headphones and speakers are both ultimately grounded to the case, so certain activities would cause certain interferences with the sound and even video (but video would probably be unnoticeable).

Good luck finding it though, there are a million possibilities XD

Woot, i just rewired everything again and the only thing faulty i found was that the Power Led was on there backwards, the white wire is on the postive instead of the negative, now I have a big blue light led power led on the front of my case that Ive never seen before haha.

As far as the static goes, it solved the issue for some reason, i think its because one of the audio connector, the thermaltake armor came with two front audio connectors, the AC97 and some other thing, I think the "some other thing connector" which is snot plugged in, is touching parts of the motherboard. Not so sure but the static is gone now, somehow rewiring everything solved the issue. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom