Question about Dedicated Physics Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whirlwind

Fully Optimized
My mobo has three pcie slots. I will probly never use a sli set-up....but I was wondering about getting another GPU to be my dedicated physics card.

I know this can be done, but I am not sure how it is done.

I need to know the following info.

1. Can i use any Nvidia gpu
2. Will I see much of a performance increase
3. Anybody already doing this, please speak up and tell me what card you are using and if it is worth it.

I would really like to hear more about this.....like what would be the perfect gpu for this and so on.

Any nvidia Gpu after the 8 series as those are the ones which they first started putting physx onboard
Depends on the game and whether it utilises physx
Same graphics card as you with a 8800gts 640mb as physx

I have mirrors edge play at ultra high settings and 2x AA and its smooth 4xAA and it can get a bit choppy. I could get fraps and run some results up for fps if you want?

Hey....thanks for the fast response Saltynay.

It is not neccesary to run fraps.....I would think you have a great extra card for physics.

Are there enough titles out there to take advantage of this extra card for physics?

I hate to waste money on a card that I do not need, but like a cheap used 9500 series card or something, I thought....might be worth it.

I am just not sure.......I dont believe that 2nd card for physics helps at all with AA?? That would just all be on your GTX 260...right?

How are you liking your GTX 260....now that everything has been straightened out for you?

I just love that card! Very powerful indeed.

Mirrors edge, mass effecct and unreal tournament 3 are pretty much it there is a full list here:
PhysX - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I think it would be a waste to get one especially for the purpose now, I am only using physx as Its a spare gfx card that would be a shame to waste.

The card is alright little underwhelmed tbh, however I haven't played any of the demanding games that I use to play where my 8800gts sli would cack out. New install of windows and only played CSS, BF2 & BF2142 and mirrors edge. Going to install crysis warhead and Fallout 3 later then get a comparison.

thanks for that list.....I think i am going to pass on a dedicated physics card for now....it just does not seem worth it.

I have never been a big fan of sli either....but that seems to be a way better option than a dedicated physics card.

It would be interesting to see what 2 of these 260 GTX cards would give performance wise.......then again, SLI is certainly not without it's problems either.

Gives you approx 60-70% increase in performance over the single card in games which utilise sli and at resolutions higher then 1600x1200. Dedicated physx card would be a lot cheaper whilst sli will cost you 200+ physx can be had for $40 or less second hand.

Gives you approx 60-70% increase in performance over the single card in games which utilise sli and at resolutions higher then 1600x1200. Dedicated physx card would be a lot cheaper whilst sli will cost you 200+ physx can be had for $40 or less second hand.

60-70%.....DANG YOU SALTYNAY!......Don't you temp me to try another GTX 260

Hmm.......I wonder if my CPU would bottleneck an sli set-up in anyway....or if it would be ok........I think my power supply is all right

Oh nonsense....just keep saying...." I don't need it"....."I dont need it"...."I don't need it"

I am actually overclocked to 2.8 Ghz right now....I guess I should change my sig.

Maybe, whenever i can find another one of these for around $150......I may give it a try.....would love to have a card that is a twin to mine......so if you ever decide to ghet rid of your card....lol

Ship it over to the US yeah right cost an arm and a leg. My cards work through my computers though my spare 8800gts is currently in a friends pc but will move to a htpc once I get a new processor. I will probably go sli once this card dies then get a gtx480 should the day come.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom