Question about crossfiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dakhathsk

Baseband Member
I have a single Radeon 4870 that came with the Xfire connectors. Can I get any brand 4870 and crossfire them? Or does it have to be the same brand? I just want to be certain before I go blowing money on something.

Yeah you can mix and match with crossfire and sli both brands and clock speeds. You can even mix memory repositories e.g. a 320mb 8800gts with a 640mb 8800gts will happily sli. Its not advised though best to keep both the same in clock and brand with sli.

Crossfire is much nicer you can mix a lot more cards not even of the same model
CF_combo_chart_Nov08.jpg

So according to that...

It is recommended to xfire a 4870 with a 4870x2.. which actually gives the performance of comparison of 3x4870s? (since a 4870x2 is like "2x 4870s slapped on the same board", and then your Xfiring another 4870 with it... so 3...)

That.. is something I didn't plan on... and makes me tingly.

Just look at the red boxes they cover all the possible combinations. You could have 3x4870 or a 4870 with a 4830 if you have the money go for it providing you don't have the 780G hybrid chipset on your motherboard.

scrimstar- do you play on multiple monitors? if not, then probably not.

4870 can handle pretty much anything, on 1 22ish size monitor. If you have a HUGE moni- or multi moni- you might want more then 1.

The 4850 isn't far behind the 70 line, so same applies really.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom