Question about an AMD build

Status
Not open for further replies.

EverMoreOrLess

Beta member
OK I am now looking at the possibility of an AMD build becasue it does look like it will be cheaper than intel. Here is the CPU I was looking at, does this look like a good one to other people?
Newegg.com - AMD Phenom II X6 1055T Thuban 2.8GHz 6 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Six-Core Desktop Processor HDT55TFBGRBOX

I was looking at a few motherboard options such as these

Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-790XT-USB3 AM3 AMD 790X USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
Newegg.com - ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 AM3 AMD 890GX HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

I have a few questions about these. They might be dumb questions, but I am rather new at this. Until recently I was going to buy a premade one but after watching a few Youtube videos and looking at some websites, I think I might try to build my own, the videos and websites dont make it look too hard.

OK....Both of those boards mention CrossfireX support for ATI cards but don't mention SLI support for nVidia,at least that I saw. Does this mean that they do not support SLI? Do nVidia cards not perform as well on AMD setups as Intel setups?

Also, none of them have FireWire ports, is that going to be a problem? I dont even know what uses firewire, so maybe it wont be.

What is SATA 3?

That X6 Processor will work well with either of those boards?

Thanks so much for any help!

OK....Both of those boards mention CrossfireX support for ATI cards but don't mention SLI support for nVidia,at least that I saw. Does this mean that they do not support SLI?
True
Do nVidia cards not perform as well on AMD setups as Intel setups?
Not true
Also, none of them have FireWire ports, is that going to be a problem? I dont even know what uses firewire, so maybe it wont be.
Firewire is an alternative to USB. like Sprint vs AT&T, all does the same thing, but competing for market share.

so just make sure devices you buy uses USB ports instead of firewire.

What is SATA 3?
third generation of SATA, faster than SATA 2, and SATA

no advantage over SATA 2 unless you have a crazy fast SSD.

That X6 Processor will work well with either of those boards?
might need an BIOs update to use the Phenom 2 X6.

i would go with the second choice, it has a 890 chip set which is better than the 790. watch and read reviews on google and youtube, and go from there

actually both of those boards support firewire. go to the specs tab of each board and you'll see "ieee 1394a", that's firewire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom