Question about 10k RPM Drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

fangs2000

In Runtime
Hey all,

Just heard the other day that you can get a good performance boost by using a small 10,000 RPM hard driver as your primary, with just the core stuff on it (Windows, Anti-virus, etc.).

I can imagine there is a boost, but is it significant?

At the moment I use a 7200 RPM 160gb seagate SATA drive as a primary, and a 200GB version as a secondary.

Thanks

i got one, i thought it was good at first, but it isnt worth it, get another gig of ram or somthing instead, infact, im gonna sell mine, cos its noisy, and just not worth it

Put your 160GB and 200GB in raid :classic: And you'll see about almost the same performance increase for a lot less!

But i see no reason to get a raptor, unless you have ev3erything you need on your other specs.

PZEROFGH said:
Put your 160GB and 200GB in raid :classic: And you'll see about almost the same performance increase for a lot less!

But i see no reason to get a raptor, unless you have ev3erything you need on your other specs.

Not really... a Raid 0 really doesn't do that much...

I went through the same question, and I was about to get 2 80gig'ers and Raid 'em, but the newer 16mb cache version of the 74 gig Raptor went on sale, so I bought it.

I'm waiting till the rest of my new comp comes to use it as an OS drive, but I will say as long as you have the 16mb cache version it's worth it.

It's much quieter, only makes a little 'popping' noise when it spins up from rest, other wise silent, and my case is entirely open.

I was still iffy, up untill I installed Maya 7 on the drive, and Maya started in 7 seconds :eek:

Same spec machine, and it would normally take a good 25-30 when I wasn't running anything else, and now it boots in 7 freaking seconds while multi-tasking...

(Maya was origionaly on a different drive from the OS drive, a 16mb cache sata I, just like the Raptor, so the only varible is the RPM)

I love my Raptor :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom