CoolerMaster Case
Allied 500W
Gigabyte K8 Trition NForce4 SLI SATA2
AMD X2 3800+
Gigabyte 3D Rocket Pro Cooler
OCZ Dual Platinum 2x512
Sound Blaster Audigy
EVGA 7800GT
WD 74 10,000RPM SATA (Games and Software)
WD 35 10,000RPM SATA (OS)
WD 160 7,000RPM SATA2 (Movies and Music)

Now I could be being to anal about this, but heat has always consernd me with computers. The three hard drives are right next to eachother because their are only three hard drive slots. So after awhile id imagine they get pretty hot. I do have one large fan in the back and one fan in the front by the front of the hard drives, and the fan on the gigabyte rocket cpu cooler. And the front is breathable so from my knowledge the case as good air flow.

So my question is, could their be a possible heat issue that could arise later? Would it make a difference if I took out one hard drive? And if so, what one?

The western digital 160gig is actualy a SATA2. And i really dont care to much about storing alot of music and movies. Id just like my computer to be as fast as possible. But when I purchased the 160gig I had a different opinion.

as for heat, just let your machine run for a while churning away, then take off the side panel, and do a touch test on each hard drive. see how warm it is, you may need a bigger fan to cool those hard drives. My hard drives are both hovering around 28 degrees Celsius now, with my 80mm vantec stealth running at 1/2 speed. Even when they've been running for hours on end doing video, seldom do they get above 30 degrees. Unless, i leave the fan off.

If you find that they are too hot, and that there isn't much air flow around them, then you could possible buy a 5.25'' to 3.5'' bay converter, (i believe vantec had a passive cooler for hard drives) and put it up in the optical drives bay. That passive cooler was a converter, but it also had heatpipes to cool the hard drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom