Quadro. Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

b0dge

Hiphopapotamus.
I've noticed on my travels around various hardware sites, that Quadro cards seem to be hellish expensive. I understand that:

Quote:
The NVIDIA Quadro FX family features high-end graphics boards, designed for professional 3D applications such as:
-Mechanical Computer-Aided Design (MCAD)
-Digital Content Creation (DCC)
-Non-Linear Video Editing (NLE)
-Visualization Applications
/Quote

But what makes them so good for all that, and not good for gaming and general use?

EDIT: Really, why is this so expensive?! - http://uk.insight.com/apps/productp...cm_mmc=Froogle-_-OG-_-HP-_-HPOA04F3Q&src=FRO1

Those cards are for people who have to generate things from scratch, like rendering things they design. People who make games probably use something like this, not people who play them. It's kind of like how Xeons are better for servers, but a Core 2 Extreme is better for gaming. Just complete different designs for complete different purposes.

Hmmm, I see your point. But Opterons are supposed to be for servers too. Mine cost me much less than an Athlon 64 at the same speed. (or even an FX). So:

Anyone know how these cards would fare against "normal" cards in games or benchmarks?

They would not do as well. I've seen reviews were people where people said they could run games okay, but nowhere near as good as the kind of cards we're all used to. You can bet any modern DX9 card will murder those Quadro and FireGL cards.

keyser09 said:

Ummm, can you get an Arctic cooling HSF for that?! lol!

Hella, hella exspensivo!

I've looked into it a bit more now, and i'm kind of getting to grips with the differences. I suppose they only sell them to a small market, so the prices stay high, supply and demand etc. Kinda like Photoshop and AutoCAD... (do you think I could get a cracked Quadro Plex Model III on limewire...?:umm: )

Its all about the drivers. The gaming videocards are stronger than their professional counterparts in terms of hardware specs (except size of memory), but neither would do as well in other other's domain. The drivers for each product are designed for the specific task it is meant to accomplish. That's why you can't just go out and buy a $650 8800GTX and expect it to do the same work as a $2500 Quadro.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom