Quad Q9550 to i7?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackmoore

Daemon Poster
Hey guys,

Any day now I am going to be swapping out my GeForce GTX 260 for a GTX 470 possibly a 480. My first question is whether or not I have enough processor power for either of those cards? I am currently running a Core 2 Quad Q9550 on 8GB's of DDR2 on Windows 7 Pro on a 850 Watt Antec PSU.

My second question is I am planning within the next 6 months to do a system overhaul, switch over to DDR3, an i7 processor and get an updated SLI capable motherboard. I know that Intel has been selling the i7 for about 3 years now, and I am just wondering if anyone has heard of a new chip line coming out in the near future? I don't want to make the same mistake as I did with this Q9550, buying it, only to find out the i7 had just been released and was vastly superior.

Hey guys,

Any day now I am going to be swapping out my GeForce GTX 260 for a GTX 470 possibly a 480. My first question is whether or not I have enough processor power for either of those cards? I am currently running a Core 2 Quad Q9550 on 8GB's of DDR2 on Windows 7 Pro on a 850 Watt Antec PSU.

My second question is I am planning within the next 6 months to do a system overhaul, switch over to DDR3, an i7 processor and get an updated SLI capable motherboard. I know that Intel has been selling the i7 for about 3 years now, and I am just wondering if anyone has heard of a new chip line coming out in the near future? I don't want to make the same mistake as I did with this Q9550, buying it, only to find out the i7 had just been released and was vastly superior.

Your CPU is great. Friend has one setup with 2 x GTX 295's and as far as I am aware it doesn't bottleneck it. I think new Intel CPU's come out next year, with a new socket too, Intel are always changing their sockets and are expensive, which Is why I prefer AMD.

You'd be best with 2 X GTX 460's I think, Cheaper and they trash the 480.

I disagree on getting 2 460. A single 480 runs every game on max settings and you have the option to get a second one later. If you buy 2 460 you'll be limiting yourself for future upgrades.

I disagree on getting 2 460. A single 480 runs every game on max settings and you have the option to get a second one later. If you buy 2 460 you'll be limiting yourself for future upgrades.

That's another way of looking at it yes, And as people say a single GPU setup is better than SLI, but the 480 Runs mighy HOT! and two of them babies = omg electric bill.... But then again I'm obsessed with Temperatures :)

Even if your cpu doesn't have enough power to push a GTX 470 or 480 to it's limits it will still see a major improvement with either card.

Your CPU is great. Friend has one setup with 2 x GTX 295's and as far as I am aware it doesn't bottleneck it. I think new Intel CPU's come out next year, with a new socket too, Intel are always changing their sockets and are expensive, which Is why I prefer AMD.

Do you know that AMD future processors needs AM3+ motherboard ? It doesn't work with the current motherboards.

Usually when you get a socket change, it isn't backwards/forwards compatible, AMD is the only one for the last few years that has had any compatibility on ANY of the AM socket designs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom